cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #41
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Jeff Kent? It says that he donated $15K to ban gay marriage, no?
Now we find out the real reason Bonds and Kent couldn't stand each other.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #42
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
In case you missed it:

http://cbs5.com/politics/steve.young....2.853885.html

As you can imagine, there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over on CB.

I always liked Steve. Good for him.
Steve has just given license to all those radicals who verbally and physically obuse those who favor and support the passage. In that respect, it is sad for those who chose to follow the prophet.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #43
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Steve has just given license to all those radicals who verbally and physically obuse those who favor and support the passage. In that respect, it is sad for those who chose to follow the prophet.
By putting a sign up in his window and saying "no comment" to the press? THAT gives license to people to abuse those in favor of Prop 8?

What is wrong with you? Seriously?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #44
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
If he achieved Beelzebub status by responding, "I don't wish to comment," imagine if he'd actually said something.
I actually find it disappointing that he didn't comment. If you are willign to go so far as to put up tombstones with RIP prop 8 in them in your yard, then why not comment? If you want to go that far, then speak your piece. I find his approach rather curious.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #45
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I actually find it disappointing that he didn't comment. If you are willign to go so far as to put up tombstones with RIP prop 8 in them in your yard, then why not comment? If you want to go that far, then speak your piece. I find his approach rather curious.
It's obvious it's his wife that put up the signs while he was, I presume, biting his lip.

"I am very passionate about this issue and Steve is completely supportive of me and my work for equality," Barbara Young said in a statement to the Mercury News after midnight. "We both love our Church and are grateful that our Church encourages us to vote our conscience. Steve prefers not to get involved politically on any issue no matter what the cause and therefore makes no endorsement."

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10871535?nc lick_check=1
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #46
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
He's still gay, correct? I mean this whole wife thing is like a big "Yeah, right!"
Have you seen his wife? I'd be willing to try the gay thing out, if it meant I could land a babe like that.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #47
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
It's obvious it's his wife that put up the signs while he was, I presume, biting his lip.

"I am very passionate about this issue and Steve is completely supportive of me and my work for equality," Barbara Young said in a statement to the Mercury News after midnight. "We both love our Church and are grateful that our Church encourages us to vote our conscience. Steve prefers not to get involved politically on any issue no matter what the cause and therefore makes no endorsement."

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10871535?nc lick_check=1
Steve is being a good husband. My folks were telling me that they were at a temple night at the DC temple with their ward and President Tanner (who was in the first presidency at the time) was there and they had a Q&A afterwards. One sister raised her hand and said, basically, I am here alone tonight because I couldn't convince my husband to come. I am so distraught that he doesn't want to come to the temple with me, president what should I do. His answer was that she should be at home with him rather than at the temple. He then expounded on the idea that she was more likely to get him there by building up according and trust in the marriage than she was by forcefully driving the wedge, even if it was over the temple. That was the gist of it.

Steve doing the right thing by not interfering with something his wife feels strongly about. Accord in the marriage is more important that this issue, and he surely won't persuade her by publicly undermining her after all of her public support.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #48
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What comment is necessary? He posts something that says "No on Prop 8" in his yard. That IS his comment.

If he put a vote for McCain sign in his yard, does he have to justify that?

Please leave that closeted gay man alone.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #49
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Steve is being a good husband. My folks were telling me that they were at a temple night at the DC temple with their ward and President Tanner (who was in the first presidency at the time) was there and they had a Q&A afterwards. One sister raised her hand and said, basically, I am here alone tonight because I couldn't convince my husband to come. I am so distraught that he doesn't want to come to the temple with me, president what should I do. His answer was that she should be at home with him rather than at the temple. He then expounded on the idea that she was more likely to get him there by building up according and trust in the marriage than she was by forcefully driving the wedge, even if it was over the temple. That was the gist of it.

Steve doing the right thing by not interfering with something his wife feels strongly about. Accord in the marriage is more important that this issue, and he surely won't persuade her by publicly undermining her after all of her public support.
Excellent story about President Tanner.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #50
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Update:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4686916

The title to the article is misleading. It looks to me like he is simply reinforcing his "no comment" stance. He doesn't really say which way he will vote nor does he correct his wife's statement about "our family" being against prop 8.

In any case, I am guessing Brother Young got a few phone calls from SLC. This was probably some sort of compromise.

What a mess.