cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #31
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You know I'm right and that galls you even more. Sorry the truth, simple as it is, is something that an "intellectual" like you is not capable of understanding.
My real objection to your POV on this, Rocky, is not that we disagree, but that you seem insistent on molding others in your image. My studies, prayer, and experiences have taught me that truth is dialectical, paradoxical, and even sublime (as Archaea stated) but searching for it helps me want to show love for God and for my neighbors. It helps me to be a better person.

There are any number of scriptures and counsel that affirm study and seeking for truth, and I trust you aren't suggesting they be ignored.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He is afflicted with an acute sense of self-loathing, much akin to the anglo guilt of leftist liberals he claims to have such disdain towards.
What I disdain is dogma, leftist liberal or whatever. It's all kindred. I'm facinated by it but disdain it.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:39 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He is afflicted with an acute sense of self-loathing, much akin to the anglo guilt of leftist liberals he claims to have such disdain towards.
Even worse. He has liberal beliefs, except for the part where you personally help others.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:42 PM   #34
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
My real objection to your POV on this, Rocky, is not that we disagree, but that you seem insistent on molding others in your image. My studies, prayer, and experiences have taught me that truth is dialectical, paradoxical, and even sublime (as Archaea stated) but searching for it helps me want to show love for God and for my neighbors. It helps me to be a better person.

There are any number of scriptures and counsel that affirm study and seeking for truth, and I trust you aren't suggesting they be ignored.
Molding others in my image....so are you saying I'm God?

I could care less about your objection. I speak the truth on this matter and you know it. Arch knows it too, but is too arrogant to admit it. Whether you accept or reject this and choose to complicate the gospel is yours and other "intellectuals" problems, not mine. It is true that sometimes the more learned people think they are, in reality shows just how dumb and easily sucked in they truly are...and it's almost always due to their own arrogance and willful pride.

You "intellectuals" confuse knowledge with the application of wisdom and show it frequently.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-19-2007 at 10:03 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rocky, send me a PM with your headshot. I need it for my avatar.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:46 PM   #36
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No, truth is more complex than ever you will imagine. It is also sublime.

It is okay if you wish to have your whitewashed version of the truth, but don't think your truth is the singular and soletary truth.
I'm confident in my views. I'll take a Special Witness of Christs word over yours every single time. Your arrogance refuses to let you see the forest for the trees. I honestly feel sorry for your types. Wallowing in arrogance, smart as a whip, yet dumber than all get out at the same time. Refusing to see that as much as it galls you that in fact, sometimes a Special Witness to Christ, regardless of you liking how he expresses it or not, is actually right and you're not. Maybe one day you'll strengthen your testimony in spite of yourself. In fact that is probably how you types strengthen your testimonies...is in spite of yourself. One day Pres. Packer could very well be President of the Church, as much as that thought abhors you. Face it...you "intellectual" types get irritated that someone as simple as myself calls you guys on the carpet on your bullshit and you simply don't like it and that's to bad, cause it's not going to change. I call B.S. where I see it and if you can't, don't or won't get used to it then that's your problem, not mine.

*Cue the next fake Arch pretending to be smart and wise diatribe*.......

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 01-19-2007 at 09:53 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:57 PM   #37
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Rocky, send me a PM with your headshot. I need it for my avatar.
No need for a pm....here ya go.

http://www.mgm.com/rocky_balboa/flash.html
Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an inappropriate approach, in my mind. Rocky has been forthright about his circumstances, perhaps far too forthright im my opinion, but I do not think that alone makes the circumstances fair game. This sort of ad hominem argument should not be used here, among us, IMO.

I don't agree with Rocky generally, but I have no idea how many of us have had similar circumstances (or should have had them) and I really can't condone discussing those possibilities in this way.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-22-2007 at 02:30 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is an inappropriate approach, in my mind. Rocky has been forthright about his circumstances, perhaps far too forthright im my opinion, but I do not think that alone makes the circumstances fair game. This sort of ad hominem argument should not be used here, among us, IMO.

I don't agree with Rocky generally, but I have no idea how many of us have had similar circumstances (or should have had them) and I really can't condone discussing those possibilities in this way.
You are correct, but his challenges to others' testimony because we inquire is equally inappropriate.

The point he makes is that we have weak testimonies because we don't approach a matter simplistically.

He takes a simplistic approach yet still struggles. So what makes our approach worse than his. I admit it is inappropriate but for him to challenge the testimonies who examine matters in a different respect is equally inappropriate and thus my bad judgment.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-19-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #40
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You are correct, but his challenges to others' testimony because we inquire is equally inappropriate.

The point he makes is we lack weak testimonies because we don't approach a matter simplistically.

He takes a simplistic approach yet still struggles. So what makes our approach worse than his. I admit it is inappropriate but for him to challenge the testimonies who examine matters in a different respect is equally inappropriate and thus my bad judgment.
I agree that both were inappropriate IMO.