cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
shobeewan

shobeewan is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding church discipline

There was a post on cougaboard about qualifications for a bishop and one of the qualifications was to have not been disciplined. Does the church keep on your record whether you have been disciplined or not? And if they do does that mean that you cannot receive forgiveness from the church?
shobeewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobeewan View Post
There was a post on cougaboard about qualifications for a bishop and one of the qualifications was to have not been disciplined. Does the church keep on your record whether you have been disciplined or not? And if they do does that mean that you cannot receive forgiveness from the church?
I know that certain things are noted in ones membership records despite forgiveness. A sexual offense with a minor, for example. I'm not sure about official disfellowship or excommunication, but I believe that answer is yes, it is noted in ones records. (others will know more).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that once blessings are restored, official records do not indicate anything about past discipline. I have been told that Salt Lake may keep records of disciplinary action that nobody on the local level would see but I have no idea whether or not that's true. Such a policy would make some sense to me, especially concerning certain actions such as the instance Waters mentioned.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobeewan View Post
The official record of church discipline is always stored in Salt Lake. For example, a stake president can request a list of all members formerly excommunicated in his stake. I'm pretty sure that is wrong about a bishop qualification, though.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
My understanding is that once blessings are restored, official records do not indicate anything about past discipline. I have been told that Salt Lake may keep records of disciplinary action that nobody on the local level would see but I have no idea whether or not that's true. Such a policy would make some sense to me, especially concerning certain actions such as the instance Waters mentioned.
I think records are marked, and a bishop has to call in to get the information.

There is nothing in the local record that says "cheated on wife" or gives any explanation.

So if a person with an asterix is called for some position, it goes through a complicated approval (or disapproval) process. This is my peanut-gallery take on it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think records are marked, and a bishop has to call in to get the information.

There is nothing in the local record that says "cheated on wife" or gives any explanation.
This is correct, to avoid accidental invasion of privacy on the part of the person in question.

I'm not aware of any official (ie, "handbook") stipulation on former church discipline for bishops. But as I've said before, in my youth I had a bishop who years earlier (early on in his marriage, if you can believe it) was unfaithful. He was disciplined (not sure how severely), repented, and was re-instated.

One of the questions commonly asked of people called to visible positions is, "Is there anything in your past that, were it brought to light, could hurt the church?" I think that is the key more than anything. These are very subjective decisions.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
But as I've said before, in my youth I had a bishop who years earlier (early on in his marriage, if you can believe it) was unfaithful. He was disciplined (not sure how severely), repented, and was re-instated.
I'm aware of another case like this.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:

One of the questions commonly asked of people called to visible positions is, "Is there anything in your past that, were it brought to light, could hurt the church?" I think that is the key more than anything. These are very subjective decisions.
Is there anything in my past that might show that I'm a sinner, that Jesus loves sinners and has redeemed me? Wouldn't want that to hurt the church.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Is there anything in my past that might show that I'm a sinner, that Jesus loves sinners and has redeemed me? Wouldn't want that to hurt the church.
Hmmm, did someone not have their coffee this morning?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Hmmm, did someone not have their coffee this morning?
I could use a Diet Coke.