cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Fair that tax dollars subsidize Kobe's pay while U.S. youth die in war for peanuts?
yes, it's the American way 3 15.79%
no, it's sickening 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2008, 05:53 AM   #81
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
If you thought that's what you thought this thread was about, with friends like you I don't need enemies. As usual, you express your agreement with me by your silence.
To be honest, the comparison between Kobe and the U.S. Soldier really doesn't hit home with me. I am generally not in favor of government subsidies for stadiums, but I am comforted by the fact that they are usually implemented at the local or state level and with a stronger level of voter participation. It's pretty common to see a state referendum on the matter. Citizens also have significantly more access to the politicians who would promote this policy.

That's not the case for military pay. The average U.S. citizen has no power or influence on this matter. I think most citizens would support military pay raises, even if a tax raise were possible.

What really grinds me is the fact that a military contractor can send their employees to Iraq and perform work that could reasonably fall under the responsibility of the military. These contractors get paid significantly more than the U.S. soldier. In some cases it's up to five or six times the amount. That is much more disturbing to me than the professional athlete who plays in a locally subsidized stadium.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #82
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

No response. Then it's settled. SU agrees that the overruse and pay of military contractors is much more outragous than a professional athlete that plays in locally subsidized arenas.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #83
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
No response. Then it's settled. SU agrees that the overruse and pay of military contractors is much more outragous than a professional athlete that plays in locally subsidized arenas.
Apparently, everyone agrees with you.

As they do with most of your posts...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #84
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Apparently, everyone agrees with you.

As they do with most of your posts...
Thanks everybody!