cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #41
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I applaud the fact that the church has declined in any official way to be more specific. I think that a huge proportion of the membership would be very happy to get back to the level of specificity that the Jews in Jesus day had. Can't eat off of a cracked plate. Can only take a certain number of steps on the sabbath. You break your fast if you swallow your saliva. That is an impulse that has to be actively resisted and for the most part I think the brethren do a good job.
Was going to post something very similar.

There's something to be said for making an attempt as a representative of the church to ensure you're not doing something that will offend members who feel one way or the other (for example, the missionaries being told when I was in Korea to not drink Green Tea because many members were being offended by them breaking the WoW).

For the rest of us, who aren't official representatives of the church, each of us should understand that where specifics aren't given, we're to prayerfully decide where the 'lines' lie, and that we shouldn't condemn those who decide differently.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Oh, and FWIW, there's some evidence that the 'caffeine' in chocolate is not caffeine at all, but theobromine, and therefore wouldn't fall under the perceived no-caffeine rules the WoW Pharisees harp so much about.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"

Last edited by Spaz; 04-28-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #43
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Green teas comes from the exact same plants as black teas, except the leaves have not been allowed to oxidize as much as the black variants.

People who rationalize that green tea is okay are using the same logic as some LDS I know that rationalize that iced-coffee is not a 'hot drink.'
Who says iced coffee is a hot drink? Is that Mormon logic?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #44
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And I eat meat in the summer.
Duh. What else are you going to barbecue?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I work with a current stake president who drinks a Starbucks frappuccino every morning.
It's not a hot drink. Leave him alone.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM   #46
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Green teas comes from the exact same plants as black teas, except the leaves have not been allowed to oxidize as much as the black variants.

People who rationalize that green tea is okay are using the same logic as some LDS I know that rationalize that iced-coffee is not a 'hot drink.'
Do you eat meat in the summer?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #47
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I try not to eat very much meat at all, ever.
You are a better man (woman?) than me.

How are you doing with barley, rye, oats, etc.?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 AM   #48
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's not a hot drink. Leave him alone.
Oh, he gets plenty of room from me. I was just responding to KiteRider's "rationalizing" post. Why is someone having a different interpretation of the WOW referred to as "rationalizing" by so many in the church? (a pet-peeve of mine)

For those interested, here's an article that tries to explain how the current WOW requirements evolved through changes in church policy, rather than through a revelation:

(It's the section "The Word of Wisdom - From Principle to Requirement" on the left-hand side)

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...&CISOSHOW=6510
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:03 AM   #49
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Oh, he gets plenty of room from me. I was just responding to KiteRider's "rationalizing" post. Why is someone having a different interpretation of the WOW referred to as "rationalizing" by so many in the church? (a pet-peeve of mine)

For those interested, here's an article that tries to explain how the current WOW requirements evolved through changes in church policy, rather than through a revelation:

(It's the section "The Word of Wisdom - From Principle to Requirement" on the left-hand side)

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/doc...&CISOSHOW=6510

Great set of articles. Thanks for the link. I saw those a few years ago but forgot many of the details.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #50
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:

]
Drinking coffee is not "having a different interpretation." It is breaking the WofW. I'm not sure how your SP remains an SP, if he is drinking coffee every day.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote