cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

View Poll Results: Fair that tax dollars subsidize Kobe's pay while U.S. youth die in war for peanuts?
yes, it's the American way 3 15.79%
no, it's sickening 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

LOL...SU, you are getting your ass handed to you bad.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #22
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Yes, I have been to an NBA game...in Los Angeles, where there are plenty of black people. I guess Seattle does not have a big black population? I dont know. It seems like you are saying that either Seattle has a small black population or that Seattle blacks do not have the money to go to the Key. Either way, that sounds sort of racist...or at the very least, ignorant.

Look, no matter how much you flail about, it doesnt change the fact that your premise is flawed, you showed your racist hand by insinuating that the fans of local NBA teams add little or nothing to the community, and then suggesting that you see mostly white high rollers at NBA games....based on what sample size? How many arenas and in what cities? Name an NBA game you have attended that was not in SLC or Seattle.

If you dont want to be called a racist, don't act like one.

On a side note, what are you guys doing for the Fourth? BBQ?
Last I checked two decent tickets to an NBA game were $200-300, not including food and drink. I bet blacks, who are disproportionately poor, are not proportionately represented at NBA games, at those prices.

I said NBA fans didn't add a lot to the culture qua being NBA fans. What do they do, talk basketball? It doesn't have the same impact as a university or a symphony or a ballet, that run schools, do exhibitions at schools, heighten the community's cultural literacy.

We're having a barbeque and I took the kids for a long walk. But I have to do some work now. You?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
LOL...SU, you are getting your ass handed to you bad.
LOL. When Rocky weighs in with one of these it's always a good sign. Rocky, how do you feel about paying part of Boozer's salary with your tax dollars?

—Paul Auster
Old 07-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You don't believe that everyone owning or employed by an NBA team or associated financially with the NBA benefits from billions of dollars in public givaways to the NBA that occur throughout the United States? Yes or no? Do you deny that those handouts occur?
SU, you are my brother and I love you.

Your homo-erotic avatar was what first caught my attention. Then I saw your pic and was smitten by the goatee.

It is this unrequited love for you, and really my unrequited love for everyone here, that compels me to again politely point out the following:

1. Yes, absolutely some teams get subsidies.
2. In that case, I see your point....perhaps the local govs should tend to more pressing civic matters first....clean up the schools, the local waterways, infrastructure, socialized sexology classes for frigid white male environmental attorneys with unsatisfied wives, etc...
3. You picked the wrong team and player for your cause. If you had referenced the outlandish salaries of your favorite players...Sue Bird, Recebba Lobo, and Chamique Holdsclaw, I would not have batted an eye.
4. You and I both know that Kobe does not make 30M. You basically made that salary up. I would venture to say that before yesterday's erroneous "30M" claim, you hadn't gotten anything up that high in ages.
5. Again in this post, you are trying to use hyperbole to prove a point...or in the alternative, you are a sexy dim bulb. "Every" employee of an NBA team? Seriously? That is your argument? Why single out the NBA? Why not jump on the DC pork bandwagon and follow the real dollars. How many Haliburton threads have you started?

You are down to your last dart, Helen. Maybe after this, you can try your luck at skeet shooting.

Happy Fourth to you, your wife (rowrrr!) and all the black people eating at your house today!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
LOL. When Rocky weighs in with one of these it's always a good sign. Rocky, how do you feel about paying part of Boozer's salary with your tax dollars?
This is exactly what I mean.

Rocky weighs in once....with 1 sentence.....and you resort to thinly veiled references of condescension.

SU, try saying these words..."SORRY. I WAS WRONG."

You may find that they will serve you well in life.

I know you can say them. Or at least, I know you can make the O-shape with your lips.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 AM   #26
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
SU, you are my brother and I love you.

Your homo-erotic avatar was what first caught my attention. Then I saw your pic and was smitten by the goatee.

It is this unrequited love for you, and really my unrequited love for everyone here, that compels me to again politely point out the following:

1. Yes, absolutely some teams get subsidies.
2. In that case, I see your point....perhaps the local govs should tend to more pressing civic matters first....clean up the schools, the local waterways, infrastructure, socialized sexology classes for frigid white male environmental attorneys with unsatisfied wives, etc...
3. You picked the wrong team and player for your cause. If you had referenced the outlandish salaries of your favorite players...Sue Bird, Recebba Lobo, and Chamique Holdsclaw, I would not have batted an eye.
4. You and I both know that Kobe does not make 30M. You basically made that salary up. I would venture to say that before yesterday's erroneous "30M" claim, you hadn't gotten anything up that high in ages.
5. Again in this post, you are trying to use hyperbole to prove a point...or in the alternative, you are a sexy dim bulb. "Every" employee of an NBA team? Seriously? That is your argument? Why single out the NBA? Why not jump on the DC pork bandwagon and follow the real dollars. How many Haliburton threads have you started?

You are down to your last dart, Helen. Maybe after this, you can try your luck at skeet shooting.

Happy Fourth to you, your wife (rowrrr!) and all the black people eating at your house today!
It's clear to me that for you this whole debate has been about the Lakers. Don't touch my Lakers. What a limited perspective. How sad.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-05-2008, 12:23 AM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
It's clear to me that for you this whole debate has been about the Lakers. Don't touch my Lakers. What a limited perspective. How sad.
You raise a good point.

It is pretty pathetic when someone focuses doggedly on trivial minutae while ignoring the greater, more important message...

See you at Church on Sunday, brother*

*"brother" in the spiritual sense, not meant as a euphemism for black or African American.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #28
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
One of these days you might want to pull those pieces of ego out of your ass that are clearly cutting off the oxygen to your brain and actually answer the question of how are we paying for their salaries and then actually SHOW the proof.

You've been asked time and again to show proof about what you're talking about, but are unable to. Give it a try and you might not look like such a buttfuck.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:34 AM   #29
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
A few reactions:

1. I hate the NBA and am not a fan and wouldn't care if it went away and they never played another game.

2. If the tax subsidies were taken away the teams would pay their players less and raise ticket prices. So the result would be both good and bad.

3. Communities have a legitimate interest in wanting a major league team in one of the three major sports in their community--it unites the community and makes people feel proud of their town when the team does well, it can spur redevelopment of an area faster than any other method, I'm sure there are others. Ask the average Seattle citizen how they feel this week and even if they aren't NBA fans, they have to feel a twinge of sadness.

4. Tax subsidies is just another market mechanism. The citizens of various towns, through a referendum or their elected representatives, can engage in a bidding war for teams. Ok wanted it more then Seattle did and they won the bidding war. I don't see how this isn't a free marketplace.
Strictly speaking you're right. But the true market here is not a market for custo$ers (fans), it's a market for teams. For some of us, this debate is about values. Why are cities and states participating in this market? Personally, I'd rather see govwrn$ent in gambling. At least there's a return on investment.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Cowboys wanted a new stadium. Dallas refused to fund it. Arlingon, a suburb of Dallas between Dallas and Fort Worth, decided to foot the bill.

Recently however, the rate of return on their bonds increased due to the economy, and they had to refinance the bonds at a fixed rate, costing the city $2 million more, in addition to all the other money they are putting in.

Spectacular morons.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...d.3dfbff2.html
One of the dumbest things taxpayers do is agree to buy a stadium for a rich pro sports owner, as if they can't afford it. I always have and will vote no.

Last edited by BlueK; 07-05-2008 at 02:47 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote