cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 PM   #21
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What makes you so high on Hillary's budget plan? I find her plan repulsive.

In terms of the Forbes Single Rate Tax, it would be a good plan if it were adopted but there is a lot of animosity toward a fair minded income tax structure. For some reason, progressives find it fashionable to say the top 25% which already pay 55% of the total tax burden must pay more. Really, how is that fair?

Rubio's is fantastical?

Additionally, Reagan showed you must start somewhere because you will always be negotiated down from where you start.
This is the only tax idea I like.

https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works-slideshow
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:10 AM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted for Kasich. I wish he had a chance to win this nomination. Hard to see what the path is. Maybe he wins Ohio, and there is a huge bombshell re: Trump. But even then there are Rubio and Cruz in the way.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:44 AM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I voted for Kasich. I wish he had a chance to win this nomination. Hard to see what the path is. Maybe he wins Ohio, and there is a huge bombshell re: Trump. But even then there are Rubio and Cruz in the way.
Well the theory is he wins Ohio and starts opening up in states more favorable to him. However, Trump has also scored in NH. I don't see how Kasich wins, but I would prefer him a lot more.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #24
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What makes you so high on Hillary's budget plan? I find her plan repulsive.

In terms of the Forbes Single Rate Tax, it would be a good plan if it were adopted but there is a lot of animosity toward a fair minded income tax structure. For some reason, progressives find it fashionable to say the top 25% which already pay 55% of the total tax burden must pay more. Really, how is that fair?

Rubio's is fantastical?

Additionally, Reagan showed you must start somewhere because you will always be negotiated down from where you start.
There is no Republican with a plan that can realistically balance the budget. Sanders' plan is poppycock, but that is par for course for the GOP.

Rubio will cut the top rate from 39% to 35%, give the middle class an even bigger cut, and collapse the tax brackets into only three. So far so good.

But then...eliminate the cap gains tax, inheritance tax, dividends tax...on his website I don't see any cuts that will pay for it. Maybe I missed something.

Cap gains is basically income from sitting on your bum. Why that shouldn't be taxed is beyond me.

The income inequality in this country is worsening. White males are dying from suicide and drug and alcohol poisoning at accelerating rates. That makes the vulnerable to demagoguery from the likes of Trump.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 03-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:28 PM   #25
ChinoCoug

The glory days of Bill Clinton fiscal responsibility are over. Welfare rolls reduced by 60%, every decile of Americans saw income growth, Republicans and Democrats were in a deficit-cutting competition.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
There is no Republican with a plan that can realistically balance the budget. Sanders' plan is poppycock, but that is par for course for the GOP.

Rubio will cut the top rate from 39% to 35%, give the middle class an even bigger cut, and collapse the tax brackets into only three. So far so good.

But then...eliminate the cap gains tax, inheritance tax, dividends tax...on his website I don't see any cuts that will pay for it. Maybe I missed something.

Cap gains is basically income from sitting on your bum. Why that shouldn't be taxed is beyond me.

The income inequality in this country is worsening. White males are dying from suicide and drug and alcohol poisoning at accelerating rates. That makes the vulnerable to demagoguery from the likes of Trump.
Many countries do not tax capital gains and the US rate is the fourth highest in the world.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/top...oecd-2011-2014

Capital gains are NOT income for sitting on your but, but the opposite, leaving capital in the system to fund new factories, buildings, and new businesses. Allowing capital funds to invest by having a low tax rate is reasonable and accepted generally throughout the world.

People who complain about the capital gains tax treatment are people who don't understand it or who don't have capital to invest.

Balancing the budget will occur by reshaping government employment and unfunded pension liabilities.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #27
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Many countries do not tax capital gains and the US rate is the fourth highest in the world.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/top...oecd-2011-2014

Capital gains are NOT income for sitting on your but, but the opposite, leaving capital in the system to fund new factories, buildings, and new businesses. Allowing capital funds to invest by having a low tax rate is reasonable and accepted generally throughout the world.

People who complain about the capital gains tax treatment are people who don't understand it or who don't have capital to invest.

Balancing the budget will occur by reshaping government employment and unfunded pension liabilities.
I'm sure someone is working his butt off "leaving" stuff.

I have real estate investments. They make money on their own.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
I'm sure someone is working his butt off "leaving" stuff.

I have real estate investments. They make money on their own.

Taxing capital gains lightly is a generally accepted principle everywhere, except in Denmark and Sweden where there is not tax they don't love.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #29
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Of all the candidates still standing, Trump is the most likely to cause the most damage to the country. Sanders can't get nominated, so that's moot. Hillary won't change anything from the status quo and is actually a little more moderate than Obama. Nothing would happen because there's a congress to block whatever she wants.

Trump could actually get the most done with help from the dems in congress along with a few stupid republicans. The problem is that what he would want to get done would be disastrous. It's tragic that his fanbase is too stupid to understand what his macho bombastic insults of other countries and threats of trade wars actully means: "If elected I will pass a 35% tax on the products you buy every day at Walmart."

If he talked trade policy in his speeches in terms that explained how his stupid ideas would affect their every day lives, he would have no support. Unfortunately most of his fans were skipping high school history and/or economics class to smoke behind the school on the day they talked about what "tariffs" are.

Last edited by BlueK; 03-03-2016 at 07:40 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So is CB rabidly anti-trump?

I find that that A&M message board has a lot of pro-Trump sentiment.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote