cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports

Old 04-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bryce Harper, Mormon sports star 2.0

When I was a kid, for whatever, reason, it was important to me to have Mormons sports heroes. I don't know if I thought of it that way, but that's the way it ended up. Danny White and Dale Murphy. I never liked the Celtics, so I couldn't stomach the most Celtic-y guy of all Danny Ainge.

These days Mormon kids don't have a lot of stars to point to. And I'm beginning to wonder if it even really matters.

Does Jabari Parker move the needle as a Mormon sports star? I'm not sure that many Mormons even know he is Mormon. And what now makes him Mormon vs. non-Mormon? His religious practice and belief seems unknown (currently). And with so many young Mormons abandoning belief and practice, it would almost seem like a surprise if he had any activity (I understand he did attend church at least sometimes at Duke). What would elevate his Mormon-ness to make him a Mormon sports star?

Same thing applies to Harper. Do Mormon kids care? What makes him Mormon versus grew-up-Mormon? The guy is perceived by the larger public to be one of the biggest douchebags in sports. The hardcore BYU fan knows that he publicly dissed BYU.

It seems like the Mormon identity is in flux all around now. Among sports stars, among regular members. What binds us?

I know some of you don't agree. But I think there are large tremors going on in the Mormon body. There are cracks in the identity. And it can be partly understood by how Mormons relate to their fellow Mormons who are celebrities.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it's worth:

ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

Harper tweets Churchy stuff.

Maybe we can get the two to do a fireside together or something.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
For what it's worth:

That was a long time ago.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Bryce Harper was engaged to Kayla Varner. They were scheduled to be married (which included temple wedding from what I am reading). It was called off.

And now they are perhaps together again as a couple?

I had no idea about this story prior to today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-at-filomena/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-didnt-happen/

With Bryce Harper, we may have the greatest baseball player of a generation.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

My boys love Bryce Harper, in part because he's Mormon. They are the only Mormon kids in their school and neighborhood, and so they are proud that the best player in baseball shares their faith. That identity is strong and meaningful to them, probably much like Dale Murphy was for you.

It doesn't hurt that we live in DC, go to the games frequently, and have caught one of Harper's home run balls, which proudly hangs in a glass case in their bedroom.

It's cute -- at regionwide Church functions they always think they may see Bryce Harper and want to take the ball to get it autographed.

Whenever Harper tweets a Church quote, I make sure to show the boys so they know Harper doesn't hide it under a bushel, and neither should they.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
My boys love Bryce Harper, in part because he's Mormon. They are the only Mormon kids in their school and neighborhood, and so they are proud that the best player in baseball shares their faith. That identity is strong and meaningful to them, probably much like Dale Murphy was for you.

It doesn't hurt that we live in DC, go to the games frequently, and have caught one of Harper's home run balls, which proudly hangs in a glass case in their bedroom.

It's cute -- at regionwide Church functions they always think they may see Bryce Harper and want to take the ball to get it autographed.

Whenever Harper tweets a Church quote, I make sure to show the boys so they know Harper doesn't hide it under a bushel, and neither should they.
That's great. I love seeing this play out in another generation.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think the great disappointment of the BYU fan is that Jimmer didn't end up as contemporary Mormon sports hero 1.0.

Here's a chubby white kid who grew up playing ball in his church, comes to BYU, captures the imagination of many basketball fans across the nation, and then goes as a lottery pick to the NBA.

It seemed so pre-destined to many, and that's why so many claim conspiracy and other dark doings as an explanation of why Jimmer has not been successful in the NBA.

Harper is complex Mormon star, Mormon sports star 2.0. Jimmer is not complex. Jimmer is as bland and boring as can be, always talking in sports cliches. Chubby dad of five in Pleasant Grove, Utah likes Jimmer a whole lot more than he likes Harper.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
ChinoCoug

OK here is evidence.

https://twitter.com/jlinehan9/status/730110242063720448

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 05-10-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

He must be wife-hunting in the off-season. Good for him.