cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 02-23-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The sad and sorry case of Payton Dastrup

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4963885-1...op-100-recruit

He weighed 230 pounds in high school. He came back from his mission weighing 270. Ok. That was June 2016.

Now, in February 2017 he weighs 255 lb. He's only lost 15 pounds since he got back from his mission! I find that incredible. Like the sorriest thing I have heard in a long time.

Quote:
Dastrup weighed 230 pounds in high school and when he left for Panama City, but he returned at 270. He's down to 255 and getting over "mission legs" that have delayed his progress.

"I feel like I am getting there still," he said, helped in part by consulting with Collinsworth — a "clean-eating guru," Dastrup said — on a proper diet for an athlete.
They are trying to teach this man how to eat. So he can lose weight and actually be in good enough shape to play the game of basketball.

If one is a Dastrup fan, I would find this very distressing.I have the impression that this guy cares more about getting TV time on the bench doing a cheer than he does playing the game. I have a hard time believing this guy has the drive to be a serious athlete.

You are a top 100 recruit, and you are so bad that you can barely get on the court. On a team that is not all that good, that has a huge depth issue.

Now I don't believe this guy will ever be quick. He didn't look quick in his high school footage. He is another non-athletic non-defending finesse skill guy. But heavens, if you can't even run up and down the court for a few minutes, how do you expect to get playing time?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/home/4963885-1...op-100-recruit

He weighed 230 pounds in high school. He came back from his mission weighing 270. Ok. That was June 2016.

Now, in February 2017 he weighs 255 lb. He's only lost 15 pounds since he got back from his mission! I find that incredible. Like the sorriest thing I have heard in a long time.

They are trying to teach this man how to eat. So he can lose weight and actually be in good enough shape to play the game of basketball.

If one is a Dastrup fan, I would find this very distressing.I have the impression that this guy cares more about getting TV time on the bench doing a cheer than he does playing the game. I have a hard time believing this guy has the drive to be a serious athlete.

You are a top 100 recruit, and you are so bad that you can barely get on the court. On a team that is not all that good, that has a huge depth issue.

Now I don't believe this guy will ever be quick. He didn't look quick in his high school footage. He is another non-athletic non-defending finesse skill guy. But heavens, if you can't even run up and down the court for a few minutes, how do you expect to get playing time?
How do you expect to make it to 40 or 50?

Remember Shawn Bradley? Even he has a gut now. What is it about men and getting huge guts after 30?

I would have expected a lot more weight loss by no.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There is no way that I'm a fat lard coming back from my mission, a top 100 basketball player, don't get any playing time, and I've only lost 15 pounds in 8 months. I have too much personal pride for that kind of crap.

I would be stewing on the bench every moment I wasn't playing, not dancing around like a little girl.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I just don't think this kid is serious. I feel like I'm more serious about my sports hobbies than he is for his college basketball career.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote