cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS Woman at popular restaurant donated $100 for Prop 8

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...5995847.column

And now her life is in turmoil, as the restaurant has been subject to protests and a boycott.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

One thing that situations like this remind me of: how many of these members are willing to consecrate everything they have for the church?

In this case, does she believe in the church leaders to the tune of $100 or does she believe in them to the tune of every material possession she owns?

It seems like she is somewhere between those two points.

Nowhere in the article do I read of Mormons rallying to her cause, nowhere do I read of Mormons coming to the restaurant, or Mormons replacing the people who no longer come on "gay night".

How much do we really believe?

Answer: not as much as we have covenanted. And it is not even close.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I wonder how the news stories would change had Prop 8 passed, and hordes of Mormons singled out individual gay No donors and harassed them.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I wonder how the news stories would change had Prop 8 passed, and hordes of Mormons singled out individual gay No donors and harassed them.
Tex, they are not at her house. They are at a business protesting.

At church yesterday I overheard a young adult complaining about the college he is attending that "even the religion teacher I have is gay." He was talking about transferring out.

This is not news. When social conservatives shun gay-oriented or gay-owned businesses, that is par for the course. I have read about Christian-sponsored boycotts of gay-friendly corporations for many years (like Disney). It was reported in the news.

People want to follow the Lord, but they want the acceptance of the world as well. And thus we see the conflict. Mormons want to dictate social policy, but they also want to be loved. And that has come into conflict. As it will in the future as well.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #5
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tex, they are not at her house. They are at a business protesting.

At church yesterday I overheard a young adult complaining about the college he is attending that "even the religion teacher I have is gay." He was talking about transferring out.

This is not news. When social conservatives shun gay-oriented or gay-owned businesses, that is par for the course. I have read about Christian-sponsored boycotts of gay-friendly corporations for many years (like Disney). It was reported in the news.

People want to follow the Lord, but they want the acceptance of the world as well. And thus we see the conflict. Mormons want to dictate social policy, but they also want to be loved. And that has come into conflict. As it will in the future as well.
Did the business itself donate to the effort?

Also, boycott is one thing. Open protesting and harassment is another. Or maybe you didn't see this picture:

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

What if the business had donated? It's a family-owned business.

Ok to protest in that case?

But this is outside the point I am making: that the church asks us to consecrate EVERYTHING. Members who have followed their leaders are finding out exactly what this feels like.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
What if the business had donated? It's a family-owned business.

Ok to protest in that case?
To return to my original post, I'm simply curious on how the news reporting would reflect the reverse situation.

Imagine: Prop 8 fails. A member of the Church searches the donations records for a gay man who donated $100 to the No cause. He enlists his fellow ward members to march with angry shouting and "HATE" poster boards on the man's business ... which, oddly enough both employs and serves a sizeable number of Mormons.

Quote:
But this is outside the point I am making: that the church asks us to consecrate EVERYTHING. Members who have followed their leaders are finding out exactly what this feels like.
I understand exactly the point you are making. I guess you're not catching on that I'm not taking the troll bait.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 12-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

To me, the conflict here is between whether she was indeed acting an an individual or whether she was acting as an agent of her church. Yes, I understand you could do both at the same time, but it seems to me that before the vote, there was some pretty heavy pressure to "get in line" with the church. And now that it's over, there's plenty of "gee, I'm just a person, just an individual--why am I being singled out?" And the church as a unit is doing this as well.

The protests and boycott seem a bit much, and this particular story is sad. But if she did what she thought she should, then I say suck it up and keep moving forward.

I wasn't asked to consecrate anything for Prop 8. Would I be willing to? For that cause? Or any other? It depends. And I guess your point, Mike, is that's a bad thing.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Most people don't expect that they will be actually asked to consecrate everything. Esp. over something they might not really believe in.

Donating $100 does not seem like overwhelming support and belief in the cause. I don't think she probably intended to uptick that donation from $100 to her job and livelihood, not to mention friendships and mental health.

Certainly it presents a dilemma when you are asked to get behind an effort you don't really support. What if the church asked you to get behind teaching creationism in schools and asked you to donate thousands of dollars? For someone like me, that would be anathema. Even to give $1.

Maybe the lesson is this: if you do not believe in it to give thousands of dollars, then don't give $100. Or $1.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #10
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe the lesson is this: if you do not believe in it to give thousands of dollars, then don't give $100. Or $1.
I agree.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote