cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am sitting in a Methodist chapel right now

Some thoughts I will share tomorrow.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

two of the songs that the choir Farrah is in performed:

My favorite:

Farrah's favorite

Of course, neither of these performances are of Farrah's choir. Just examples of the pieces.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My understanding of the LDS church's rules are that these pieces can't be performed (generally) because they are not in English.

It's a shame. Oh well, we have Janice Kapp Perry.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The director of this choir is LDS. So are a few of its members.

They practice in a LDS chapel.

They have had a series of performances during their Christmas tour, all but one of them held in churches. But not a LDS church among them. I asked Farrah why.

She says that the director did have the choir perform in a LDS chapel once, but the church insisted on having its own representative give a "talk" at the end of the peformance. in other words, they were unwilling to let the choir have "control" and if it was going to be held, it was going to be turned into a missionary fireside.

So now the choir doesn't perform at LDS chapels. Excuse me while I gouge my eyes out and throw up in the can.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Some thoughts I will share tomorrow.
I knew you were surfing the internet during the concert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The director of this choir is LDS. So are a few of its members.

They practice in a LDS chapel.

They have had a series of performances during their Christmas tour, all but one of them held in churches. But not a LDS church among them. I asked Farrah why.

She says that the director did have the choir perform in a LDS chapel once, but the church insisted on having its own representative give a "talk" at the end of the peformance. in other words, they were unwilling to let the choir have "control" and if it was going to be held, it was going to be turned into a missionary fireside.
I think the SP was uncomfortable with the idea of letting this "musical fireside" sound more like a concert. He felt the need to essentially give a talk afterwards. The choir director wants the music to just stand on it's own.

We performed in some beautiful old churches with gorgeous natural acoustics. We also sang in a newer building (Episcopalian) where I played on an electric "grand piano", and the choir had to be miked. The ceilings were low and tiled with sound-absorbing material. My monitor wasn't working, and I could barely hear myself. It was quite the contrast. Do they not construct new churches to be as acoustically-pleasing?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote