cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Methodist Service

Last edited by MikeWaters; 12-22-2008 at 08:23 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Consider it a blessing that most of us don't know what is going on in most other churchs' services.

At times, we might be green with envy.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I mentioned this church to a member of my bishopric.

And he says, "Great church. We've been using their daycare for years. And we send our kids to church summer camp there."

Church ought not be something that is to be dreaded because of the poor instruction, awful lessons, embarrassingly bad social activities, etc. Too often we tolerate church, or suffer through it, then wonder why missionary work suffers.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I mentioned this church to a member of my bishopric.

And he says, "Great church. We've been using their daycare for years. And we send our kids to church summer camp there."

Church ought not be something that is to be dreaded because of the poor instruction, awful lessons, embarrassingly bad social activities, etc. Too often we tolerate church, or suffer through it, then wonder why missionary work suffers.
Here is an observation.

If a person is fully invested, one can enjoy service because of one's efforts.

However, if one is failing in investment in the community, then one might falter as our services are often devoid in substance or structure. It is therefore amazing we retain or attract new members, but must be doing something right in the development of our community.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Consider it a blessing that most of us don't know what is going on in most other churchs' services.

At times, we might be green with envy.
The local McDonalds doesn't one day start offering great Panini sandwiches. But you can always count on Filet of Fish to be the same every where you go.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

If we allowed self-selection in wards, we would probably see a very different LDS church.

What kind of LDS congregation would *you* choose?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If we allowed self-selection in wards, we would probably see a very different LDS church.

What kind of LDS congregation would *you* choose?
Its an interesting question. The program you posted certainly has much more for the "consumer" of spiritual goods so to speak. I wonder if they have as many opportunities for personal investment as we do. But there is a lot there that just seems more fun.

The problem/strength of our faith is that it does not tolerate the broad range of approaches that would crop up if one could self select. I think you would have orthodox wards and liberal wards. Probably very few, if any, that would value those two things in dialogue. Lots of churches have traditional worship services in the same building as modern worship services. That isn't really possible for us is it?
Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

That program may have been interesting, but the key here to me is that you actually may have been able to hear it, as they kindly appear to remove most of the young children. That's a lesson I'd love to see us learning.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
That program may have been interesting, but the key here to me is that you actually may have been able to hear it, as they kindly appear to remove most of the young children. That's a lesson I'd love to see us learning.
A friend of mine told me of his cousin who lives in the Dallas suburbs. The oldest melchizedek priesthood older is 39 years old. Anyway, invited nonmembers to the ward, and they said that the atmosphere was so chaotic with noise from children, that they preferred not to return (this is a ward with three nurseries).
Old 12-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #10
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A friend of mine told me of his cousin who lives in the Dallas suburbs. The oldest melchizedek priesthood older is 39 years old. Anyway, invited nonmembers to the ward, and they said that the atmosphere was so chaotic with noise from children, that they preferred not to return (this is a ward with three nurseries).
Our stake contains a geriatric ward, consisting entirely of temple missionaries. Once in a while, one of them will appear as a speaker in our ward, at which point they almost invariably comment on how wonderful it is to hear the sounds of children in the congregation. I had always just thought they were feeling nostalgic or something, but now I'm wondering if perhaps there is a level of sarcasm I hadn't detected.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote