cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 01-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess this might a summary of the libertarian pro- open borders movement.

https://openborders.info/us-specific...ion-arguments/
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #22
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Says the guy who has always lived in the far away burbs?

For people like me, legal and illegal immigration don't have a huge effect. Well I take that back, there is no doubt I would make more money if some legal immigration was curtailed in my profession. But I don't really care about that.
I haven't always lived in the far away burbs. From 1995-2004 I lived in a cheap condo which was actually within the city of Dallas. It was in the little northeast corner of town where Dallas meets up with both Richardson and Garland. Whites were definitely not in the majority in that neighborhood. Then I bought a house a couple of miles east of there in Garland. The link below is about the closest elementary school, less than a mile away. Only 7% of the students at that school are white. It was a peaceful neighborhood. The ward there at church was great. I truly miss it because I liked seeing both well off and less well off members of all ethnic backgrounds loving and helping each other. It was definitely not the ghetto, but it wasn't Frisco either.

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/b...school-profile

Your point about immigration not really affecting you personally is actually true for the majority of Americans. I don't think it really affects most people outside of the hype shown on TV, especially by Fox which has been beating that drum for the last 15 years or so.

There have definitely been economic changes which have hurt the less educated. At the same time, the economy is booming right now for those who have graduated from college or have experience and marketable skills. Unfortunately, rural parts of the country where most people don't have those are struggling. But those problems can probably more accurately be blamed on a really bad tax structure and crony capitalism. Trump's tax bill just passed into law is ironically only going to make things worse for the people who support him the most.

Last edited by BlueK; 01-24-2018 at 03:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's impacted me in some ways. For example, it plays a huge part of why I don't live in Dallas anymore. The school was so bad, we had to move. Also in my inability to sell my old house (bad schools combined with bad market). This has been driven by immigration of poor uneducated Hispanics.

Not that they are bad people.

Where I live in the burbs, there are plenty of poor people in my ward boundaries. Cheap apartments.

But can I not get a job because of poor Hispanic immigration. No, that's not the case.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote