cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 12-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for those in the Los Angeles area

I am in the Bay Area right now, and tomorrow will finish working around 4 and driving home. I want to stop at Philippe's for a late dinner but if I don't get there before they close at 10, can you recommend a consolation establishment for my dining pleasure?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What a coincidence.....my family is all meeting at Phillipe's for lunch tomorrow. We are taking the kids up on the Metrolink...they love riding the train and subway.

If you are talking about getting there past 10, then your options in that area are limited.

If you wanted a nice late greasy treat within striking distance, you can try these two:

1. Cielito Lindo (at the end of Olvera St...about 3 blocks down from Phillipes on the corner of Alameda and Cesar Chavez). Taquitos with the classic green gaucamole sauce. This stand has been there for over 60 years serving taquitos. Probably longer. Not a sit down, though.
2. Tommy's. The original one on Rampart and Beverly...from Philippes, go to the 101, take it North, go about 2 miles or so and get off on Rampart. The offramp will dump you off on the East side of the 101. Turn back around and get back on Rampart heading West. Go about 3 blocks to Beverly. You will see the famous red shack. and a line of people.

Are you coming down the 5? what kind of food are you looking for? If you want late dining with sit down, there are really good Korean BBQ places in K-town, good sushi and shabu shabu houses in J-Town (although likely closed at that hour), plus lots of other classic options (pinks, apple pan, etc).

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under the impression that dining in LA begins and ends with In-N-Out. Am I wrong?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I was under the impression that dining in LA begins and ends with In-N-Out. Am I wrong?
Fortunately, yes.

In and Out is a good burger, but that is about it. I cannot imagine why it would be a destination meal for anyone.

When in LA, you should try Tommy's or Apple Pan for other interesting takes on burgers, and Pinks for hot dogs, if you are looking for fast food staples.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Ooh I forgot about Tommy's, I've never been there. Maybe I'll skip lunch and eat at both!
Old 12-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Fortunately, yes.

In and Out is a good burger, but that is about it. I cannot imagine why it would be a destination meal for anyone.

When in LA, you should try Tommy's or Apple Pan for other interesting takes on burgers, and Pinks for hot dogs, if you are looking for fast food staples.
Well, I'm not much of a fan of In-N-Out so I don't bother eating there.

I found a better burger (IMO) at that place in Huntington Beach that was at the end of a pier. I heard it fell into the ocean.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, I'm not much of a fan of In-N-Out so I don't bother eating there.

I found a better burger (IMO) at that place in Huntington Beach that was at the end of a pier. I heard it fell into the ocean.
Ruby's Diner. Still there. I find I/O burgers to be better, but Ruby's always seems to taste good because you are starving from being at the beach all day. Also, it is fun to watch all the Vietnamese folks gutting fish that they catch off the edge of the pier.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Ooh I forgot about Tommy's, I've never been there. Maybe I'll skip lunch and eat at both!
Wow, that would definitely be a serious violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom. Tommy's is not for those who lack intestinal fortitude.

If you do go to Tommy's, you MUST get the chili cheeseburger. If you get the sissyburger, you have gone off the reservation and I can no longer vouch.

Also, cheese fries (no need for chili cheese fries, as you will have plenty of extra chili from the burger....use it for dipping your fries).

And can of soda, available in the coolers (you will know what I am talking about when you get there).

If you want to eat it like a true Angelino, get a side of yellow chili peppers (free) and consume a few of those with your meal.

Once you are done, drive very quickly to SD and a clean bathroom.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

According to Tommy's website, they have a location in San Diego. I was not aware of that. So perhaps this evening I will have my appetizer at Cielito Lindo, followed by dinner at Philippe's, and will hit up Tommy's next week.

As Ice Cube would say, I think today will be a good day.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
According to Tommy's website, they have a location in San Diego. I was not aware of that. So perhaps this evening I will have my appetizer at Cielito Lindo, followed by dinner at Philippe's, and will hit up Tommy's next week.

As Ice Cube would say, I think today will be a good day.
OK, that sounds good. Yes, Tommy's is in SD, too, but the original red shack is the one in LA (just for informational purposes, I guess). The burger will be good either way.

I have never eaten at CL and Phillipes in one sitting. That could be interesting.

When I go to CL, I always get the same thing: 6 taquitos, avocado sauce, rice, beans, pineapple soda (they dont sell horchata, unfortunately).

When I go to Phillipes: 2 beef double dips with swiss, hard boiled egg (pickled), lemonade, loads of yellow chili peppers on the side, and I alternate desserts: a baked apple, cheesecake, or coffee cake.

Have you ever eaten at Cole's? It is on 6th street downtown. they go back and forth with Phillipe's as to who invented the sandwich first. The problem with Cole's is that it is about 3 blocks from skid row, so enjoy. The sandwich is good, though. I prefer Phillipe's....the sawdust on the floor, the spicy mustard, and the proximity to the Ravine....1000 times better experience than Cole's.....but if you love food, you should still check out Cole's one of these days.