cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Am I the only one willing to admit that I do not really golf? I really enjoy it when I go (even though I stink), but I just dont have the desire to ever go that much.

I have no problem getting up at 5:45AM and meeting a few friends to go surf. In fact, I look forward to that in the same way some of you golf aficionados love the links. But the golf bug never bit me. All told, I just would rather both my balls be in the water than only one of them.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I work for match.com.
You bastards sent me a misleading email offering to sign me up for free etc. etc. So I spent 20 minutes filling out the page after page of information, and then at the end, if I wanted to see any matches, it would be $69.95. So in other words it's only free to waste your time filling all that crap out....hey thanks. Ctrl-W.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
At least double. Probably even more than that. I am a non-management technical employee (very senior and damn good at what I do ... but still) and I make well into six figures.
But let's see what the Utahns in my industry have to say:

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3365456
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
At least double. Probably even more than that. I am a non-management technical employee (very senior and damn good at what I do ... but still) and I make well into six figures.
Guys at Novell don't make that, that are comparable to your skill level? Or Omniture or Altirus? The high tech companies change so much I'm not sure what the other comparable firms are.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
You bastards sent me a misleading email offering to sign me up for free etc. etc. So I spent 20 minutes filling out the page after page of information, and then at the end, if I wanted to see any matches, it would be $69.95. So in other words it's only free to waste your time filling all that crap out....hey thanks. Ctrl-W.
You can see as many matches as you want for free. You just can't communicate with them without paying.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Am I the only one willing to admit that I do not really golf? I really enjoy it when I go (even though I stink), but I just dont have the desire to ever go that much.

I have no problem getting up at 5:45AM and meeting a few friends to go surf. In fact, I look forward to that in the same way some of you golf aficionados love the links. But the golf bug never bit me. All told, I just would rather both my balls be in the water than only one of them.
I've golfed twice in my life, and probably consigned myself to the terrestrial kingdom, based on my language and behavior on the course.

Golf sucks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The issue is not how many figures make up your income.

It is where the decimals and commas fall.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I see some of the responses. I really don't know. It's not my field. I know our IT guys make the same as they do at our Texas operations. The IT market might be soft here, but I don't see that as a "LDS culture thing". Twenty years ago it was one of the hottest IT markets around and programmers were making as much as doctors.

What are you gonna do when they figure out a guy in Bangalore can do your job for $8 an hour?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

A guy in my ward was looking for someone with the skills you listed recently. He told me he was willing to pay $125-150K per year. He was having a real tough time filling the position.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've golfed twice in my life, and probably consigned myself to the terrestrial kingdom, based on my language and behavior on the course.

Golf sucks.
I suck at it, but I actually have a lot of fun when I go. I try not to go with serious golfers because then it becomes annoying if you aren't moving fast enough. I love going with good golfers who don't mind giving you a tip or two, but then can shut up when you are teeing off.

I also like that metal key thing that is used to replace divots. Sometimes I will just poke holes in the grass while I am waiting for everyone else to tee off.

Sign that I am a golf rookie....my ball marker is just a coin. I don't have any cool official ball marker.

We used to live about 5 minutes from Pelican Hill in Newport. I have golfed North and South both a few times. It just recently re-opened and is a beautiful course. I've done Kapalua in Hawaii. Also beautiful.

I also went a ton in law school to Tri Cities in American Fork. I think it cost about $12 to golf. I loved that place. Hobble Creek was awesome. East Bay exec course....NOT awesome. Seven Peaks.....NOT awesome.