cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

View Poll Results: Great Apostasy?
Yes, the Original Truth was fully revealed and lost through the machinations of men 7 46.67%
Yes the Pristine Church was perfect and corrupted by orthodox 2 13.33%
No, the early Church was in its infancy and lacked direction 2 13.33%
No the early Church had priesthood keys which were lost, but did not result in a great apostasy 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Was there a Great Apostasy?

Mormons have long accepted as a cultural piece of truth that some "Great Apostasy" from original pristine truth occurred after the First Century. Seattle mockingly has pointed out the absurdities of the proposition.

Do you believe it's (a) still taught or (b) a correct principle?
Old 07-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #2
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I like the topic, but the question as poised is impossible for me to answer--the nuances go on forever.

I believe that a line of authority by the laying on of hands can be found in the Catholic church (and Orthodox churches) back to Peter. But they clearly "went astray" along the way and lost doctrines and practices as taught and instituted by the Savior.
The line of authority cannot be even agreed upon as to Pope Leo or Clement. Now I know the Catholic Church has designated one of the traditions for sake of convenience, but it seems rather unconvincing to me.

It is interesting that somebody such as Talmadge whom I generally like and respect would pen his "Great Apostasy". Even by his day, there was plenty of German research disabusing of the silly notion that Christianity had anything in bulk that was pure.

It seems to me that Christ spent the bulk of his adult life preaching faith, repentance, baptism for the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Ghost. As no bureaucratic structure existed, it appears odd he would have spent much time delineating a future organizational structure, when the apostles couldn't even understand a physical resurrection. Agnostics believe Christ was more a failed apocalyptic Jewish preacher whom others held up to be the Messiah in light of political and social concerns.

These past three or four years I've spent not an inconsiderable time reading research into early Christianity, and discovered the traditional notions often purveyed within the Church to be misplaced or untrue. It seems we continue this false message because it creates a better contrast for our message, "you're wrong, we're right," because "they lost it all, and we got it all back" is the simple message we'd prefer to convey.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-05-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Arch, your answers are somewhat convoluted.

You characterize the apostasy as a loss of truth. The apostasy was a loss truth than it was a rejection of authority. Another common translation for the greek word "apostasia" is "mutiny." Rejection of truth would be better classified as "heresy."

Last edited by All-American; 07-05-2008 at 07:24 PM.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'll pass on this poll.

The notion of a great apostasy is a lot like when Hitchins says religion has no good purpose at all and just contaminates everything. How could a fair minded student of history not acknowledge that "Christianity" is a but for cause of Western Civilization? Is Western Civilization really such a thoroughly terrible thing? I know Hitchins doesn't believe that. Tom Paine is his idol. But though Tom Paine was an atheist, he was a product of the civilization that Christianity in many respects created.

Now, when we talk about "Christianity" in this context, we are talking about the very form of apostate Christianity condemned by Talmage. The problem is that if you pull one strand as important as Christianity from the tapestry of Western Civilization, maybe the whole things comes apart. Anyway, maybe you get something much worse. There are worse things than Western Civilization. Agreed?

There is this notion that some say has been supported by the Dead Sea scrolls that early on there were two branches of Christianity, one more Jewish and occult and ascetic (they didn't drink wine, etc.), and the other infused with Greek philosphy and culture, and projecting to gentiles. James (Jesus' brother) and Paul have been identified as the heads of each branch. The extinction of James' Christianity and the spectacular, world changing success of Paul's might be characterized by some as an apostasy from the original pure form of Christianity, I suppose. But what would the other Christianity, James' Christianity, have led us to? I shudder to think.

Anyway, as FARMS has noted, great apostasy=Hellenization of Christianity. I submit you can't take the Greek out of Christianity and wind up with the United States of America, just as you can't take Christianity out of Europe and wind up with the U.S.A.

The doctrine of great apostasy just doesn't make any sense from a non-eccliesiastical, historical perspective. It's gibberish. But I understand you had to have had an apostasy for a "restoration" to make any sense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'll pass on this poll.

The notion of a great apostasy is a lot like when Hitchins says religion has no good purpose at all and just contaminates everything. How could a fair minded student of history not acknowledge that "Christianity" is a but for cause of Western Civilization? Is Western Civilization really such a thoroughly terrible thing? I know Hitchins doesn't believe that. Tom Paine is his idol. But though Tom Paine was an atheist, he was a product of the civilization that Christianity in many respects created.

Now, when we talk about "Christianity" in this context, we are talking about the very form of apostate Christianity condemned by Talmage. The problem is that if you pull one strand as important as Christianity from the tapestry of Western Civilization, maybe the whole things comes apart. Anyway, maybe you get something much worse. There are worse things than Western Civilization. Agreed?
Nobody is trying to pull apart any strands from the tapestry of Western Civilization. This pet theory of yours, that Mormonism seeks to turn the clock back to the first Century AD through the "restoration", frankly doesn't make any sense to me. We're not Ahmish.

Methinks you're falling into the same trap as Arch, though perhaps in a different sense. I don't believe you are correctly identifying what we believe was lost, nor what it is that is being restored.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Methinks you're falling into the same trap as Arch, though perhaps in a different sense. I don't believe you are correctly identifying what we believe was lost, nor what it is that is being restored.
What do you believe? Cite please.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
HighHorse

HighHorse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But though Tom Paine was an atheist, he was a product of the civilization that Christianity in many respects created.
One correction: Thomas Paine was not an atheist. He was a deist. He spoke of God often but he didn't limit God to the definitions in the Bible. He claimed no knowledge of who or what God is, he but believed in a supreme being.

Paine was a product of the false Christian Dogmas taught in his era. He simply couldn't fall for the same stuff that Joseph Smith failed to grasp a generation later.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
All-American

Quote:
What do you believe? Cite please.
Who am I supposed to cite on the matter of what I believe? Am I not an expert enough in that particular field?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Nobody is trying to pull apart any strands from the tapestry of Western Civilization. This pet theory of yours, that Mormonism seeks to turn the clock back to the first Century AD through the "restoration", frankly doesn't make any sense to me. We're not Ahmish.

To me there was no Great Apostasy, just a loss of priesthood authority. That was my convoluted point, and I agree with you that Western Civilization is not what I was challenging.

What do you believe Church members actually mean or should mean when they use that misnomer?
Old 07-06-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
To me there was no Great Apostasy, just a loss of priesthood authority. That was my convoluted point, and I agree with you that Western Civilization is not what I was challenging.

What do you believe Church members actually mean or should mean when they use that misnomer?
They mean what the word itself means-- that there was falling away from the church as it was authoritatively established by Christ. The restoration is of that priesthood authority-- which, parenthetically, does not require doing away with anything good that happened in the interim.

It's not a misnomer at all. The definition, from the middle Liddell: 1. a defection, revolt; 2. departure from. The loss of priesthood authority IS the great apostasy.