cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

View Poll Results: Great Apostasy?
Yes, the Original Truth was fully revealed and lost through the machinations of men 7 46.67%
Yes the Pristine Church was perfect and corrupted by orthodox 2 13.33%
No, the early Church was in its infancy and lacked direction 2 13.33%
No the early Church had priesthood keys which were lost, but did not result in a great apostasy 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #11
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
They mean what the word itself means-- that there was falling away from the church as it was authoritatively established by Christ. The restoration is of that priesthood authority-- which, parenthetically, does not require doing away with anything good that happened in the interim.

It's not a misnomer at all. The definition, from the middle Liddell: 1. a defection, revolt; 2. departure from. The loss of priesthood authority IS the great apostasy.
I agree with this definition.

Although the Roman Catholic Church would argue that their priesthood has remained intact, in a line of traceable succession, back to Peter.

Today's LDS apostles also claim a line of priesthood authority back to Peter, but they reassure us that the apostasy won't happen again. I'm sure St. Eleutherius (Pope #13) would also have also dismissed any suggestion of widespread Christian apostasy.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm
Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
One correction: Thomas Paine was not an atheist. He was a deist. He spoke of God often but he didn't limit God to the definitions in the Bible. He claimed no knowledge of who or what God is, he but believed in a supreme being.

Paine was a product of the false Christian Dogmas taught in his era. He simply couldn't fall for the same stuff that Joseph Smith failed to grasp a generation later.
For one thing, as has been discussed here before, I don't think there's really much practical difference between atheists, deists, or agnostics, except for self-identification maybe for political purposes.

Paine was hard core atheist. He loathed Christianity, whatever gloss you want to put on it, thought the Bible was a fable. Back then, that meant you were an atheist, as atheist as it got.

Seriously, can you give me a quote where he invokes God?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I agree with this definition.

Although the Roman Catholic Church would argue that their priesthood has remained intact, in a line of traceable succession, back to Peter.

Today's LDS apostles also claim a line of priesthood authority back to Peter, but they reassure us that the apostasy won't happen again. I'm sure St. Eleutherius (Pope #13) would also have also dismissed any suggestion of widespread Christian apostasy.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12272b.htm
The Catholics lose me when their authorities can't really say who the first pope was, Leo or Clement.

But the thought all good was lost is the primary thought which ultimately conveyed by many Mormons when they use the term "Great Apostasy."
Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Source on who says "all good was lost" in the Apostacy. TIA.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Catholics lose me when their authorities can't really say who the first pope was, Leo or Clement.

But the thought all good was lost is the primary thought which ultimately conveyed by many Mormons when they use the term "Great Apostasy."
Well, I'm not afraid to reject that notion as blatantly false. But I don't think that thought was ever the church's official position on the apostasy. It's been a while since I read Talmage's book, but I don't remember even him being THAT absolutist.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Source on who says "all good was lost" in the Apostacy. TIA.
It's been a while since I've read Talmage, so my impressions may be mistaken. In fact, I haven't read it since 1979. But the distinct impression I was left was this, "priesthood lost, God's grace lost and Christianity went gravely astray."

We continue to portray the history between Christ and Joseph Smith as one big dark era. It may not have been so bluntly stated, but that is the impression I was left with.

What does TIA mean?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
It's been a while since I've read Talmage, so my impressions may be mistaken. In fact, I haven't read it since 1979. But the distinct impression I was left was this, "priesthood lost, God's grace lost and Christianity went gravely astray."

We continue to portray the history between Christ and Joseph Smith as one big dark era. It may not have been so bluntly stated, but that is the impression I was left with.

What does TIA mean?
TIA= thanks in advance.

I agree that the impression may be perpetuated by church members, which may be the point Arch is trying to get at in this thread. I'll be happy to do away with the notion that Catholicism is THE Great and Abominable Whore, sans any form of light and truth.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
TIA= thanks in advance.

I agree that the impression may be perpetuated by church members, which may be the point Arch is trying to get at in this thread. I'll be happy to do away with the notion that Catholicism is THE Great and Abominable Whore, sans any form of light and truth.
Thank you. Western culture was formed by virtue of the development of the RCC. We would not be where we are today without it. We culminate with this near-sightedness with BRM's characterization in his first version. So even at the top the culture cultivated that grossly mistaken belief.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thank you. Western culture was formed by virtue of the development of the RCC. We would not be where we are today without it. We culminate with this near-sightedness with BRM's characterization in his first version. So even at the top the culture cultivated that grossly mistaken belief.
where are we today?

The last 100 years were probably the bloodiest in the past 3,000 years.

So yes, I guess you could say the RCC brought us to this, with the specter of nuclear holocaust over our heads.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
where are we today?

The last 100 years were probably the bloodiest in the past 3,000 years.

So yes, I guess you could say the RCC brought us to this, with the specter of nuclear holocaust over our heads.
And at the time of Christ, we lived in idyllic peace?