cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So let me get this straight ...

A one day stay in a hospital in the States costs 6 - $700? Lou Dobbs reports that half or more of the bankruptcies in the states are caused due to a serious illness that prohibits a person from working, losing his/her job and then of course his/her insurance. Then that person CAN'T get insurance because of the existing condition?

Great system you've got there guys (red death in particular) -the same system that informed my wife and I we could take out a loan to pay for the birth of our fist child because as a self employed student I made too much money to qualify for Medicare or like programs.

Last edited by tooblue; 01-16-2008 at 12:27 AM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Oversimplified, and I don't believe the answer that half of all bankruptcies are health care related. It's not believable.

The cost is also deceptive. In Nevada, if you're a cash patient, you are required to receive a discount equal to about forty percent off billed charges and most hospitals will negotiate any payment plan possible.

It's a scare tactic and the attacks lack adequate reliable support.

The reason for many bankruptcies, we spend more than we make, often on credit cards.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
A one day stay in a hospital in the States costs 6 - $700? Lou Dobbs reports that half or more of the bankruptcies in the states are caused due to a serious illness that prohibits a person from working, losing his/her job and then of course his/her insurance. Then that person CAN'T get insurance because of the existing condition?

Great system you've got there guys (red death in particular) -the same system that informed my wife and I we could take out a loan to pay for the birth of our fist child because as a self employed student I made too much money to qualify for Medicare or like programs.
I get pretty sad when the government doesn't give me free stuff too.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I get pretty sad when the government doesn't give me free stuff too.
I just think it's interesting that a society that considers itself the moral compass of the world cannot arrive a reasonable solution on health care.

I should ad to my little personal story above -did I mention that at the time my wife became pregnant I paid Blue Cross / Blue shield $130 a month for insurance coverage. When contacted, Blue Cross / Blue shield indcated they would pay $600 to cover the cost of doctor visits but NOTHING towards the birth ... and of course once the child was born they would happily cover him/her so long as I was willing to accept a larger monthly payment!

It's just interesting that's all.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Oversimplified, and I don't believe the answer that half of all bankruptcies are health care related. It's not believable.

The cost is also deceptive. In Nevada, if you're a cash patient, you are required to receive a discount equal to about forty percent off billed charges and most hospitals will negotiate any payment plan possible.

It's a scare tactic and the attacks lack adequate reliable support.

The reason for many bankruptcies, we spend more than we make, often on credit cards.
Sounds like a wealthy lawyer with his head in the sand.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Maybe we should be like Canada and all our physicians are at the mercy of some bureaucrats in ottowa. Imagine opening up a business then being told what amount you have to accept for payment of your services. You have no input to what prices want to charge. Some government official in some other province has decided it for you.

then imagine you had a medical problem that can be taken care of with a quick visit to the doctor. The government has decided that you now have to wait 6 months

sign me up for this system!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

btw... No one ever pays full price for Medical Treatment.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Maybe we should be like Canada and all our physicians are at the mercy of some bureaucrats in ottowa. Imagine opening up a business then being told what amount you have to accept for payment of your services. You have no input to what prices want to charge. Some government official in some other province has decided it for you.

then imagine you had a medical problem that can be taken care of with a quick visit to the doctor. The government has decided that you now have to wait 6 months

sign me up for this system!
If only that were reality ... but it's not. Of course, imagine 40, 50, 60% of your population is uninsured and your meds cost three times as much as they are being sold by the same company in other countries. Oh, and let's not forget that you can fly to South East Asia for an operation for half the cost to have it done at a hospital just down the street from your home
Old 01-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default Maybe try birth control?

Quote:

Heck, maybe we can all pitch in and buy you a Ferarri too.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
btw... No one ever pays full price for Medical Treatment.
i know, the interest on the loan I would've had to take out was likely 9%!