cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road
Default I'm interested in how the Cougs...

respond to the expectations/hype for the upcoming 2008 season. Thoughts?
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am actually really excited about this season because for the first time in a long time, we have the right pieces in place to lose our two big out of conference BCS games and then win our mediocre conference, culminating in a Vegas Bowl appearance.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
respond to the expectations/hype for the upcoming 2008 season. Thoughts?
This is new ground for the Mendenhall regime. In 2006 it had been so long since BYU was good that nobody expected them to *that* good even though the potential was there.

I recall a comment from Pap in the summer preceding the season where he said: "with all the returning talent and experience if BYU can't be good in 2006 then it can never be good again. If we struggle with this corps then we are doing something wrong and probably will not be able to change."

For many of us 2006 was a surprise. For others it wasn't. Regardless, it was such a treat after so long that folks lived in the moment and whatever minor flaws or not being a real national player was unconcerning as it had been so long since the Y dominated the MWC and looked that good. Last year was something we all suspected might happen but history indicated it would be a rebuilding year. The talent was as high as it had been for a new qb since probably Detmer, but many of us had pretty tempered expectations so having another year of conference domination compensated for the lack of being a national player wasn't as big a deal.

This year the beast wants to be fed and 8-0 in the MWC ain't gonna feed the beast. This is new ground for Mendenhall who frequently feeds the flames of that beast. BYU will have a huge target on its back in OOC games and MWC games and the fever is going to grow and grow over the summer. Mendenhall's one game at a time and do your personal best pitch might be enough to keep the Cougars focussed. But even a focussed BYU team could lose to UCLA, UW, TCU or Utah if they don't play well.

Mendenhall seems to relish challenge and his personality is one that rises to the occasion. Teams normally assume the coach's personality so I expect him to fan the flames of expectations in the media and with the fans in his effort to issue that challenge of perfection to himself and his team. It will be interesting how things play out. I might say my bigger concern is how the team reacts to a loss instead of the loss itself. I expect BYU to lose a game as I never expect an undefeated season from anyone. But how the Y reacts to a loss with the bar set this high will be interesting.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

The expectations will be there the next 2 seasons.

In 08' and 09' The Dreams of crashing the BCS will be a burden or challenge..depending on how you look at it....it's something the players and coaches will have to learn how to deal with.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
This is new ground for the Mendenhall regime. In 2006 it had been so long since BYU was good that nobody expected them to *that* good even though the potential was there.

I recall a comment from Pap in the summer preceding the season where he said: "with all the returning talent and experience if BYU can't be good in 2006 then it can never be good again. If we struggle with this corps then we are doing something wrong and probably will not be able to change."

For many of us 2006 was a surprise. For others it wasn't. Regardless, it was such a treat after so long that folks lived in the moment and whatever minor flaws or not being a real national player was unconcerning as it had been so long since the Y dominated the MWC and looked that good. Last year was something we all suspected might happen but history indicated it would be a rebuilding year. The talent was as high as it had been for a new qb since probably Detmer, but many of us had pretty tempered expectations so having another year of conference domination compensated for the lack of being a national player wasn't as big a deal.

This year the beast wants to be fed and 8-0 in the MWC ain't gonna feed the beast. This is new ground for Mendenhall who frequently feeds the flames of that beast. BYU will have a huge target on its back in OOC games and MWC games and the fever is going to grow and grow over the summer. Mendenhall's one game at a time and do your personal best pitch might be enough to keep the Cougars focussed. But even a focussed BYU team could lose to UCLA, UW, TCU or Utah if they don't play well.

Mendenhall seems to relish challenge and his personality is one that rises to the occasion. Teams normally assume the coach's personality so I expect him to fan the flames of expectations in the media and with the fans in his effort to issue that challenge of perfection to himself and his team. It will be interesting how things play out. I might say my bigger concern is how the team reacts to a loss instead of the loss itself. I expect BYU to lose a game as I never expect an undefeated season from anyone. But how the Y reacts to a loss with the bar set this high will be interesting.
While it doesn't seem to affect your typing, I was wondering if you have trouble speaking with Mendenhall in your mouth 24-7.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

As an outside observer, I'm having a bit of deja vu. This reminds of the optimism at SC before they started their current run. We knew that something special was about to happen; I get the feeling that BYU is on the cusp of something similar.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
While it doesn't seem to affect your typing, I was wondering if you have trouble speaking with Mendenhall in your mouth 24-7.
Oh now that's just ignernt.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Oh now that's just ignernt.
The post in question didn't deserve that response. Years of suppressed rage have a habit of spilling out at random times.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
For the record I am one of the few BYU fans who loves having yer kind in the conference. Back when I was a kid I got in a backyard fight with a young man two years my senior who went by the name of "Bugs." Bugs lived on some private streeet and his family owned livestock. Bugs was a good kid but not altogether good at bareknuckles fist fights or football. I, on the other hand, was the youngest of 5 boys in a family responsible for driving down property values in the neighborhood. As I was doing things to Bugs not felt to you since BYU went up 40something to nuttin' and your top 10 nationally ranked defense was merely asking John Beck to please "just go gently," I commented that his shirt was ripped to which he responed, as he was spitting out some blood, that just makes me madder.

I like you Poke fans. I also like the fact that the keester pounding we mormon boys apply every year only makes you madder. Oh ya, thanks for the Black 14 incident, because of you we even have african americans, both who wear undwear like yourns and mine, who are better than yours. So all in all I figure BYU has a hell of a lot to thank WYO for and I look forward to more keester pounding!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
For the record I am one of the few BYU fans who loves having yer kind in the conference. Back when I was a kid I got in a backyard fight with a young man two years my senior who went by the name of "Bugs." Bugs lived on some private streeet and his family owned livestock. Bugs was a good kid but not altogether good at bareknuckles fist fights or football. I, on the other hand, was the youngest of 5 boys in a family responsible for driving down property values in the neighborhood. As I was doing things to Bugs not felt to you since BYU went up 40something to nuttin' and your top 10 nationally ranked defense was merely asking John Beck to please "just go gently," I commented that his shirt was ripped to which he responed, as he was spitting out some blood, that just makes me madder.

I like you Poke fans. I also like the fact that the keester pounding we mormon boys apply every year only makes you madder. Oh ya, thanks for the Black 14 incident, because of you we even have african americans, both who wear undwear like yourns and mine, who are better than yours. So all in all I figure BYU has a hell of a lot to thank WYO for and I look forward to more keester pounding!
you forgot to mention your hard-on for Joe Glenn.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote