cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Upon reflection, yesterday's move by Romney really was quite clever.

1. Since he still had a (long) shot at the nomination, he gave the impression of leaving of his own choice, rather than being forced out.
2. He did it at CPAC, where he would have his most ardent supporters and the friendliest crowd.
3. It came unexpectedly, leaving even lukewarm supporters "wanting more."
4. Casting it as "for the good of the party, and the country" left him with some enormous good will among party faithful. Taking one for the team, as it were.
5. Gave the best political speech of his career.
Tex, for once I agree with you. That was exactly how I saw it.

Romney bows out now, avoids the humiliation of a drawn-out defeat, saves face, and to top it off manages to frame it as taking one for the team. What greater sacrifice than to lay down one's campaign for the sake of God and Country?

Even better, he leaves his arch-nemesis Huck looking like a petty self-centered narcissist for staying in the race and jeopardizing the very future of our country!

I don't know that I'd go so far as to classify it as brilliant, but the best possible move, yes.

Incidentally, turns out my mom was a Romney supporter. She was very very disappointed. Not a McCain fan, I guess.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Incidentally, turns out my mom was a Romney supporter. She was very very disappointed. Not a McCain fan, I guess.
There's a little bit of Mormon in everyone
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Your mother is wise. You'd do well to listern to her.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote