cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I sent this email to my Bishop.. Is there something I am missing?

Bishop,

A couple of months ago I asked about the Deacons helping with setting up the sacrament as we only have one teacher. As I reading in D&C 20 this afternoon I came upon these verses. Please note verse 57. Doesn't our situation meet the "If occasion requires" clause? Am I way off here in my interpretation of the D&C?

53 The teacher’s duty is to watch over the church always, and be with and strengthen them;
54 And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking;
55 And see that the church meet together often, and also see that all the members do their duty.
56 And he is to take the lead of meetings in the absence of the elder or priest—
57 And is to be assisted always, in all his duties in the church, by the deacons, if occasion requires.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

actually that is a misprint. Verse 57 actually reads:

"57 And is to be assisted always, in all his duties in the church, by the Young Men Presidency and Quorum Advisers, as is frequently required."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Bishop,

A couple of months ago I asked about the Deacons helping with setting up the sacrament as we only have one teacher. As I reading in D&C 20 this afternoon I came upon these verses. Please note verse 57. Doesn't our situation meet the "If occasion requires" clause? Am I way off here in my interpretation of the D&C?

53 The teacher’s duty is to watch over the church always, and be with and strengthen them;
54 And see that there is no iniquity in the church, neither hardness with each other, neither lying, backbiting, nor evil speaking;
55 And see that the church meet together often, and also see that all the members do their duty.
56 And he is to take the lead of meetings in the absence of the elder or priest—
57 And is to be assisted always, in all his duties in the church, by the deacons, if occasion requires.
The deacons passing and the teachers preparing the sacrament is by tradition, and not by anything it says in the scriptures. Therefore, I see no reason a bishop shouldn't allow the deacons to assist the teachers in preparing it if necessary, especially in light of what this says.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
The deacons passing and the teachers preparing the sacrament is by tradition, and not by anything it says in the scriptures. Therefore, I see no reason a bishop shouldn't allow the deacons to assist the teachers in preparing it if necessary, especially in light of what this says.
Yeah, it certainly appears to give the OK for deacons helping out the teachers, when needed.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Yeah, it certainly appears to give the OK for deacons helping out the teachers, when needed.
It would be the rare Bishop that would stray outside of these traditions IMO. It has become so traditional as to be pseudo-doctrinal.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It would be the rare Bishop that would stray outside of these traditions IMO. It has become so traditional as to be pseudo-doctrinal.
I know, but there doesn't seem to be any basis for that. The only thing that is set in stone is that priests are the only Aaronic priesthood with the authority to bless the sacrament or baptize. It would be the bishop's call since he's the president of the aaronic priesthood. But if I were the bishop I'd say it was ok in this case.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-09-2007 at 06:57 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Bishop,

You might have a case from the passage you cite, although someone could, for starters, try to distinguish between "assiting in duties in the church" and "assisting in duties in the priesthood."

Regardless, the HoI and tradition run counter to your interpretation and your Bishop will follow them.

There are some interesting things in this area that fall beneath the notice of most. One is that ANYONE in the LDS Church can pass the Sacrament. A sister can pass the tray to someone else, and there's nothing magical about standing and passing or passing to more than one person. Although the Deacon's responsibility with the Sacrament is often referred to as "passing," the priesthood function being exercised is actually OVERSEEING the passing and ensuring that the bread and water are offered to everyone (with respect for parents' decisions about their children--and especially young children-- being the norm).

It would violate cultural expectations if, for example, a sister stood up and passed the tray across the aisle, but in the LDS Church the only things wrong with such an action are in the "unwritten order of things" and in the implication that it might somehow send a "wrong" message (there might be some letter or something addressing this, but I've never heard of one). More than a few breakoffs from the Church fault us for this very thing. Some of the polygamist groups won't let women pass the emblems at all and others have a one-to-one interaction between the priesthood holder and the congregant. I've heard of some Christian groups that won't even let women partake of the Sacrament because Jesus, in the Gospel accounts, only offered it to men.

That the Lord's Supper in the early church was a celebratory, community meal, one that sometimes got out of hand (see Paul's description of people getting drunk on the Sacramental wine and overeating the bread of the Lord's body while others went hungry in 1 Cor. 11), affirms, I think, that community participation (communion, as it were) is key and that, while Paul is upbraiding the Corinthians for focusing on their individual consumption, the Suppers in Corinth at least were fairly informal.

On the one hand I think it would be cool to have an old style "Supper of the Lord." OTOH, I understand why this doesn't happen in the Church.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-09-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

On the one hand I think it would be cool to have an old style "Supper of the Lord." OTOH, I understand why this doesn't happen in the Church.
I would welcome a bit more formality to our sacrament. It would be nice if the church encouraged the use of pita bread or a higher quality bread as opposed to stale, smashed Wonder Bread. I think this would be consistent with encouraging an atmosphere of reverence. A couple of weeks ago I saw a piece of sacrament bread covered with mold, which I removed and threw away.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I would welcome a bit more formality to our sacrament. It would be nice if the church encouraged the use of pita bread or a higher quality bread as opposed to stale, smashed Wonder Bread. I think this would be consistent with encouraging an atmosphere of reverence. A couple of weeks ago I saw a piece of sacrament bread covered with mold, which I removed and threw away.
I smashed a small spider in the sacrament tray a couple months ago.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I like it when the water doesn't taste like it's become metallic from sitting in the pipe. A larger cup size (cue Goatnapper) would be nice as well, because sometimes there's just enough water in there to keep me from swallowing well, and then I cough, and then I wonder if everyone thinks I'm being punished for being evil...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-09-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote