cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default These guys didn't like Ehrman, let me guess

they must be evangelicals.

http://www.tektonics.org/books/ehrqurvw.html
Old 11-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

Fundamentalists don't like Ehrman because he's agnostic and used to be a born again Christian. His work is widely respected in Christian scholarship... I find it irritating people reject any interpretation of the Bible that its utter infallibility (I realize this is partially a result of my Mormon upbringing).

My professor for literature of the Bible in college started out at Moody Bible College. He was a preacher for a fundamentalist Christian congregation for around 11 years... left the church. I think he did the Baptist thing for awhile, and finally settled on the Catholic church because he felt it allowed the most open-minded religious scholarship. I think his former circles had a big problem with him. Just interesting... You think they'd be happy that he'd reconciled his intellect and faith in a way that at least he was satisfied with.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote