cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stay at home moms and vocabulary

Snipe says:
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1450592

I asked Snipe who did this research, and he said this guy Hart, in part. I looked him up. Here's the articles that may be relevant. Interesting that one of them says being in a crowded home leads to lower vocabulary (one wonders about the effects of having 8 kids).

In this article I see no mention about whether moms are stay at home or not. Neither was it clear to me that that was considered in Snipe's post, though he certainly spun it that way.

I would post on CB, but i can't of course.

Child Dev. 1994 Apr;65(2 Spec No):606-21. Related Articles, Links

Prediction of school outcomes based on early language production and socioeconomic factors.

Walker D, Greenwood C, Hart B, Carta J.

Juniper Gardens Children's Project, University of Kansas, Kansas City 66102.

Early differences in family SES, child language production, and IQ were related to outcomes in early elementary school in the present prospective, 10-year longitudinal study. In a prior study of family interactional variables associated with language learning, major differences in parenting (i.e., time, attention, and talking) were found to be associated with differences in child productive vocabulary between 7 to 36 months of age, and child IQ, favoring higher-SES parents. Lower-SES children were exposed less often than higher-SES children to diverse vocabulary through their parents' attention and talking, and they were prohibited from talking more often. In the current study, 32 children involved in the earlier study were repeatedly assessed between 5 to 10 years of age, while in kindergarten through third grade. Results indicated that SES-related differences in child language prior to school were predictive of subsequent verbal ability, receptive and spoken language, and academic achievement assessed on standardized tests in kindergarten through grade 3. However, none of the predictor variables were related to direct measures of elementary schooling. When combined with a composite SES indicator, early child language production significantly increased the variance accounted for in the prediction of elementary language and academic competencies in each subsequent year in elementary school. Implications are discussed in terms of the stability of performance on language and academic performance measures of children who entered school with different early language learning experiences, and the need to consider early home- and school-based intervention designed to prevent or ameliorate these trends.

PMID: 8013242 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Dev Psychol. 1999 Jul;35(4):1020-3. Related Articles, Links

Parental language and verbal responsiveness to children in crowded homes.

Evans GW, Maxwell LE, Hart B.

Department of Design and Environmental Analysis, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853-4401, USA. gwel@cornell.edu

This article is a secondary data analysis of the University of Kansas Language Acquisition Project, which intensively studied, on a regular basis, parent and child language from age 6 months to 30 months. The association between residential density and parent-child speech was examined. Parents in crowded homes speak in less complex, sophisticated ways with their children compared with parents in uncrowded homes, and this association is mediated by parental responsiveness. Parents in more crowded homes are less verbally responsive to their children. This in turn accounts for their simpler, less sophisticated speech to their children. This mediational pathway is evident with statistical controls for socioeconomic status. This model may help explain prior findings showing a link between residential crowding and delayed cognitive development.

PMID: 10442870 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does SES stand for?

Snipe's reference shows it's stay at home, but that's not how I abbreviate stay at home.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

probably socioeconomic status
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reading the abstract this doens't sound too

shocking to me. Anyone who has been around only children (such as I am) knows they tend to be more adult like becasue they spend less time around kids. SO when the study talks about density does it control for age of the population (IOW one kid around a lot of adults) or is it strictly a number of persons in the house issue? Eiterh way I am not clear how Snipe drew a conclusion abotu SAHM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote