cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SteelBlue ...

... I am not necessarily trying to calim everything Pace said was true, just that the memo itself was legitimate. I was wondering things along the lines of what you were speculating. Has anyone here known people involved in experiences like this, or any other understanding of these things? I guess, if someone was a perpetrator of such, they would not come forward, but, you get the thrust of my question.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I have encountered people who purported to be victims of satanic ritual abuse.

I tend towards the idea that this is a honest fabrication. The people are sincere, but the events did not occur.

But I try to keep an open mind. I don't rule out the possibility.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dan: Did you really just ask if any of us know

ritualistic satanic child abusers? LOL.

I don't know anyone personally, but I did have the 'benefit' of reviewing the compelte trial record from the cases i mentioned above. IT was sickening becasue if true, it was hard to believe that anyone could systematically destroy their own child's life as these people were accused of doing or, if not true, that anyone could destroy families by manipulating young children to beleive in crazy stories.

Here is a true story. When I was in 6th grade a kid in our class named Jack claimed that he had seen the devil in the bathroom mirror. I relaize this is silly, but Jack was very theatrical and began to lead groups of kids into the bathroom, turn off the lights and tell everyone to close their eyes and then chant somehting like "Devil, devil let me see" or some such. He would then tell everyone to open their eyes and look into the mirror for a fleeting image of the devil. There, under the eerie glow of a UV light (which was the only light still on) these kids began to see the devil. Pretty soon virttually all of the 6th grade had fallen under Jack's suggestion and swore, and I mean they were earnest, that they had seen the devil, ever so breiefly, in the mirror.

This was not enough for Jack, of course. After a couple of days the drama was waning and so suddenly Jack claimed that the devil had reached from the mirror and began to choke him. He even displayed the red marks on his throat as proof. THis convinced us all over agian. (Why Jack would venture into a bathroom alone with the Devil was a question I didn't think to ask at the time.)

When the thrill of the choking wore off jack tried to claim that he was being levitated, but his attempts to 'jump' as proof were so incredibly absurd (and in hindsight sad) that the bloom was off the rose, so to sepak. Added to this was the fact that one fo the more level-headed students (I wish I could say it was me, but it wasn't) told a teacher why so many of us were repeatedly trooping off ot the bathroom in convoys with Jack. The teacher investigated and then held a meeting to point out how ridiculaous it all was and how embarassed we should all be.

As I look back, I know that I never saw the devil in the mirror. I owuld have sworn to almost anyone else that I had, however, and I convinced myself to believe it at the time. Moreover, having said I saw the devil, I could not later recant untiul everyone else did as well.

Look, the world has lots of evil; but most of it happens one on one or in little incremental and much mcuh more insidious ways. There probabyl are people that engage in ritualistic satanic worship and abuse, but I think it is very rare. More than likely, just like Jack and the cases I dealt with at the court, the claims result more from mass hysteria and suggested group think.

Frankly, I am surporised to know that Elder Pace actually wrote the memo, becasue I think it is very conclusionary and dimsisses the possibility of contrary conlusions in such a cavalier fashion. Steelblue is propbaly correct, IMO, when he says that the claims just can't be true, at least not in the numbers that are claimed.

Does anyone know why the memo was written and what happened as a result? The memo refers to monitoring the problem. How could they monitor it without stopping it?
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:15 AM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default even if legit

consider that it wasn't for general distribution, and we don't know how the committee received it. We don't know if it was repudiated or whether it was ever revised. We don't know if this is its original form.

Since it was never intended for publication, there really is not enough information to draw meaningful conclusions.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:55 AM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it strange that the two concurrent active threads in this forum are:

1) Mostly convincing each other that the flood was real and literal

2) Mostly convincing each other that satanic ritual abuse is exagerrated and inaccurate
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

LOL. I guess I am one of the consistent ones.

I neither believe in a literal interpretation of the flood nor the literal version of gangs of Satanists.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 AM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
I find it strange that the two concurrent active threads in this forum are:

1) Mostly convincing each other that the flood was real and literal

2) Mostly convincing each other that satanic ritual abuse is exagerrated and inaccurate
Thank you for the chuckle.

:lol:

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Naturally I thought of this thread when I came across this news headline:

"320 People Arrested for Sorcery"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051103/...pua_sorcery_dc

It is the #7 most popular news story of the day on Yahoo News
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:06 AM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Notice this link

http://www.capetimes.co.za/index.php...icleId=2983423
Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

what a waste. that's putting it mildly.

more like "please God let me rain down hell on this man."

the avenging angel needs to get to work.