cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a thread on cougarboard yesterday made me think...

why dont weird miracles occur anymore in the church?

are the heavens not as opened as they once were?

do we depend too much on modern technology for remedies and cures for our ailments?

i cant stop thinking about the story of the boy and his mom putting ashe in his hip and making his hip whole again....

could you imagine what the saints would think if someone bore a similar testimony in fast and testimony meeting? shed be a certifiable whack job.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wonder if

(a) they don't happen because we have modern medicine, or (b) they do happen but people don't throw pearls before us Member swine.

I've become cynical enough that I'd have a hard time believing a miracle, unless the circumstances are such that it's properly set up.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Testimonies have really changed that way over my lifetime. I can remember some really interesting testimony meetings as a young kid. I think that there has been a push to keep the sharing of sacred experiences within ones own family.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Testimonies have really changed that way over my lifetime. I can remember some really interesting testimony meetings as a young kid. I think that there has been a push to keep the sharing of sacred experiences within ones own family.
im thinking that its a push to become more mainstream. by staying away from the miracles the church doesnt need to justify the outpourings of heaven on its members. the reason i say this is the church still champions all the early miracles, as america has distanced itself from religion, so has the church from the sensationalism of miracle work....

its also interesting how speaking of tongues has changed from the beginnings of the church to now a focus of it being missionary work throughout the world. not saying the mtc and missionary program isnt an example of the gift of tongues.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote