cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
LDS people are able to achieve greatness in the field of obesity?
Yes! That is exactly what I am doing! I am on my way to greatness! Thank you so much for giving me hope and renewed self-esteem!
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:08 PM   #12
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head
One of the things I like to do when visiting wards is to look out for the staples of any ward. There are certain things present in all wards over 100 people or so (at least from my geographically diverse, yet time-limited vantage):
  • -A really large person (many wards are going beyond the 1 on this one)
    -A severely handicapped person
    -A horribly, HORRIBLY introverted teen, often a boy
    -The cynic who questions any changes proposed, even the most irrelevant changes in scheduling
    -The headstrong person who likes to "challenge" people in Sunday School
    -The Young Woman wearing a little too little

I'm sure I'm missing others right now. A Bishop? Not trying to be mean, just stating my observations.
What about the older woman (sometimes senile) but sits in the back of class and raises her hand frequently. The teacher tries to avoid calling on her, but when it's unavoidable, the woman launches into a rambling account of her life story.

Or the woman who hijacks each lesson with a diatribe about non-Christian religions (Buddhists), her disgust over the professional sports teams' cheerleaders skirt length, or her latest visions involving meeting the devil on the moon?

No one else has such characters in their ward?
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default People would be happier if they obeyed all the

commandments, but we come from different backgrounds with differing weaknesses.

I find it amazing, in part because this is one of the few sins which I haven't committed, not going to list the ones I have, that people don't enjoy being fit. In all probability I take it to an extreme, but how anybody could enjoy being overweight is beyond me. Or why they don't change.

However, people with sterling personalities might wonder how I can stand being such a jerk, and why I don't work on it.

My question really is, how can you enjoy huffing up stairs or not keeping up with the kids? I don't really view it as sinful but sad that those persons are missing out on a good part of life.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 AM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

My current bishop is a black belt in Aikido and Ninjitsu and is the most humble and cool bishop I've ever had.

He keeps himself in great shape.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
not that this matters, just wondering if parts of the word of wisdom will be amended and in 50 years we will be looking back saying it was a thing of policy and not doctrine.
It's been so engrained into the church's image, I'm wondering if it would be possible to do that without committing brand-suicide. I think you make a great point about the WoW being more about branding than doctrine. (IIRC, the current interpretation of the WoW was instituted in 1906 or thereabouts.)

For all practical purposes, there are only two commandments that matter in the church:

1. No extramarital sex.
2. No coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco, (non-prescription, non-OTC) drugs.

Well -- I guess three if you count "No felonies".

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #16
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
brm said those people are fanatics that try to limit what you can eat dont impose it and cola not in spirit. As far as coffee tea I heard this they wont keep you out of ck but disobedience will. and no unclean thing can enter heaven. JFM said it can be safe to be sure in heaven there will be no smoking or drinking answers to gospel questions.
I'm pretty sure bongs are against the WoW, too. :lol: :lol:

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #17
Hazzard

Hazzard

Responding to outlier's post ... I don't think the WoW is simply a hoop through which the Lord wants us to jump to show our obedience. I think there are usually very good reasons for the Lord's commandments, rather than just being tests of obedience. In the case of the WoW there are fairly obvious health reasons for each of its facets -- for example, most of the "banned substances" harm our health, especially if consumed in excess.

Then again, maybe it's just the optimist in me (which is usually a very small part of me!) hoping that the Lord won't give us random commandments for no other reason than to test us. I like to think the Lord is more practical than that. But I might be wrong.

I remember an acquaintance at BYU telling me that a certain leader at Ricks told the students that some of the rules at Ricks were instituted for the sole purpose of testing their obedience. This little anecdote made me very uneasy, not to mention queasy. Ricks is to Cougarboard what BYU is to Cougarguard.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default there may be "just do it" commandments authorized

by Father and suggested by leaders, but WoW seems to be one of those created for our benefit.

God doesn't need anything of the sort, but our bodies and minds benefit from keeping it. Eating intelligently, sleeping correctly, exercising are all things which science proves is the right thing to do.

However, because we learn precept upon precept, not everybody will be on the same page at the same time.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #19
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default A few thoughts on alcohol in the Word of Wisdom

I do not think that avoiding alcohol is just a hoop to jump through, it is there for a very specific reason. If it was not in the Word of Wisdom I would not see a problem with social drinking, or a glass of wine or a beer with a meal. The problem is that it is rarely social drinking with people even if it starts that way.

I have not had alcohol in about 2 months now, and while I occassionally miss it, not consuming it has been better. First I lost about 15 pounds just by taking alcohol out of my diet and doing everything else the same. My man-boobs are decreasing such that they are to the point that Goatnapper would no longer be impressed by them. Of course this is just a side benefit. The other benefits is alcohol is damn expensive and you will spend a lot of money on it. It has saved me a lot since I stopped drinking. Also it is very easy to slip into drinking in excess a lot. I actually stopped drinking for a time before I came back to church. One night I got scared as I was drinking alone in my apartment when I realized that I had gotten drunk, not just had a few drinks but got drunk, the past 5 nights.

I think the complete prohibition of alcohol is simply to prevent the more serious problems that inevitably come with it.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:42 AM   #20
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few thoughts on alcohol in the Word of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk

My man-boobs are decreasing such that they are to the point that Goatnapper would no longer be impressed by them.
hmm. maybe I need to take up drinking.

Seriously, though, congrats on your progress and giving up alcohol.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote