cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Acts of unappreciated kindness

my advisor gave me some advice, that he had heard from Ross Perot. This is an approximate quote:

If you don't mind not getting credit, there's no limit to the good you can do.

Last year our ward gave a lot of presents to a needy family that I hometeach. All the food and presents were at the Bishop's, I stuffed them in my car and called this family to drop them off. They said "not tonight." "some other time." So I called back the next day, and brought the stuff over. I also got them a decent gift certificate myself, which I said was from me and the other hometeacher.

Well after all this, I never heard a word from them about it. No thank you, nothing.

I'm not really one to hold a grudge, but the lack of normal social graces is kind of annoying. I recognize this as a symptom of their dysfunction, and not that they are inherently ungrateful people. Having said that, I am not feeling nearly as motivated this year. I think the gift value gets cut in half this year...
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Not to say that yours is such an act, but often, acts of kindness are much more self-serving than selfless serving.

If service is given because "it's that time of year," or to avoid that feeling of guilt that comes when you spend time and money on an activity in which you have fun, the person receiving service inevitably feels used. All that person is in the end is a spiritual prostitute-- you give them money and you go away feeling good about yourself. I've got home teachers like that-- it's pretty clear that the only reason they come by is to fulfill an assignment. They can't be righteous if they don't do their home teaching, after all.

Acts of kindness often go unappreciated because the giver has already received his reward: a boost of self-righteousness and a good report to give the Elders Quorum President.

I'm sure a lot of acts of kindness with good intentions are interpreted the same way.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Isn't life difficult and grand?

A person tries to do good deeds by offering acts of kindness. If our hearts are not quite right, we may receive no reward in terms of spirituality. Even if we do, sometimes the receiver isn't ready. Rarely do all things coincide well.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Christmas is a very difficult time of year for everyone ... I'm not sure how to answer your question Mike other than to say, turn the other cheek and double your gift this year.

It may not make you feel better, the very same people will likely not offer a thank you, but you can never be too generous and it is always good to act as the Savior would despite your intentions.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I can't afford to double my gift! I gave them a 40$ gift certificate last year.

This year I will give them something cheaper, but more meaningful. I know how to make it cheaper, and I'll figure out a way to think it meaningful!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Here is my problem....

They church helping out the same family every year.....

The family that has 2 new cars, a nice big house, their kids have better clothes than my kids.

Did I mention the Ipods and cell phones?

Yet every year, the same talk in PEC.....

FROSTS MY COOKIES!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Re: Acts of unappreciated kindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
my advisor gave me some advice, that he had heard from Ross Perot. This is an approximate quote:

If you don't mind not getting credit, there's no limit to the good you can do.
That's easy for Ross to say, lol. Where I work(Perot Systems) there are long hallways where the walls are plastered with plaques, medals, & ribbons given to him by some organization or another.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:05 AM   #8
Nobody Special

Nobody Special

Isn't the reason for giving is to have charity? And we all know the definition of charity.

But if you give with the intent of getting something back, does it not defeat the purpose of the gift or service.

Last Christmas the Bishopric ask me to help deliver the sub for Santa gifts. It was the hardest and worst thing that they have ever ask me to do.

I couldn't do it, I had to get my wife to take them up to them. Which is quite surprising. One guy actually danced around and jumped for joy when she took them to him

And if they ask me to do it again this year I'll tell them no. Don't want that guilt again this year. Not to mention knowing who needs and gets them. I'd just as soon not know any of it and do my best to help out in other ways that I can.

We had the same discussion last week in Sunday School about helping those that have big screen tv's and such buy food. But, I like to think that if we do it without question no matter what the situation I'll be blessed for it. How ever hard it may be. And well I too struggle with it.

Go Cougars!
Nobody Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Here is my problem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick
They church helping out the same family every year.....

The family that has 2 new cars, a nice big house, their kids have better clothes than my kids.

Did I mention the Ipods and cell phones?

Yet every year, the same talk in PEC.....

FROSTS MY COOKIES!
Reminds me of a family in a former ward. The Church was paying for the father to go to the local community college to get a Nursing degree (you know, feed a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime). We were paying his tuition, paying the rent, providing food, etc. He had a sweet deal (our Bishop was a well-known soft touch; needy folks would move into our ward for that reason). The family made its requisite once a month visit to church and even held some church callings.

I got really chapped when I overheard him talking about how he was going to take it easy the next semester and only take classes that interested him instead of pushing on to graduation. I really got pissed off when he asked my First Counselor (I was EQP) to go on a fishing trip off the Carolinas; cost was only $700. A nice image: my First Counselor is working two jobs to make ends meet (including tithing and FO) and can't afford the trip while this joker is living large off the Church.

Upon graduation, the family left the Church. He then left his family to pursue some internet love interest in Australia who took one look at his lard ass and sent him packing.

"Feed a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he screws you by doing it off the Carolina Coast on your dime."

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

since becoming exec. secretary, I've had the notion there is a subclass in the church that moves from ward to ward living off of charity.

when certain demands are made (i.e. get a job) they leave for a different ward.

I think this must be the biggest drag of being a bishop. deciding how to handle dysfunctional people (dysfunctional both materially and spiritually).