cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Lady Cougars

Old 08-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default womens soccer

I've found BYU womens soccer to be very entertaining to watch. I usually watch several games on BYUTV. This year's team has a lot of talent, including Ashley Hatch who has played games for the US national U-23 team. They are nationally ranked to start the season (underrated at #19, IMO) and just beat Arizona in an exhibition game. I think they have a good chance to advance several rounds in the NCAA tournament like the team from a couple of years ago that made it to the elite 8.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-18-2015 at 06:48 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched several games at BYU. Watched maybe parts of a couple of games on byutv past few years.

Maybe I can get my wife to watch with the kids.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

a couple of BYU mentions.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...-soccer-season
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I've found BYU womens soccer to be very entertaining to watch. I usually watch several games on BYUTV. This year's team has a lot of talent, including Ashley Hatch who has played games for the US national U-23 team. They are nationally ranked to start the season (underrated at #19, IMO) and just beat Arizona in an exhibition game. I think they have a good chance to advance several rounds in the NCAA tournament like the team from a couple of years ago that made it to the elite 8.
I enjoy following the program. However, I am not a fan of the offensive scheme used by BYU. It doesn't allow for enough indirect play and BYU players tend to lack the ability to break down defensive players in the final third of the field.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I enjoy following the program. However, I am not a fan of the offensive scheme used by BYU. It doesn't allow for enough indirect play and BYU players tend to lack the ability to break down defensive players in the final third of the field.
I think that describes how they've been most of the time in the past, but from what I saw, I didn't think that was the case with last year's team during the second half of the season especially as the younger players came around. The offense last year I thought was less about long ball and more precise, while still taking advantage of their speed. It was the defense that was the main weakness last year I thought. The team last year was also very young, with the freshmen and sophomores seeming to be the more talented players on the team.

They just beat Arizona 3-2 in an exhibition and start off playing in Hawaii tomorrow against a top 25 Cal team, followed by playing #3 Stanford late on Monday. It will be interesting to see how they do against these two very legit opponents on a neutral field.

Last edited by BlueK; 08-20-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I think that describes how they've been most of the time in the past, but from what I saw, I didn't think that was the case with last year's team during the second half of the season especially as the younger players came around. The offense last year I thought was less about long ball and more precise, while still taking advantage of their speed. It was the defense that was the main weakness last year I thought. The team last year was also very young, with the freshmen and sophomores seeming to be the more talented players on the team.

They just beat Arizona 3-2 in an exhibition and start off playing in Hawaii tomorrow against a top 25 Cal team, followed by playing #3 Stanford late on Monday. It will be interesting to see how they do against these two very legit opponents on a neutral field.
It would be great to make it to the final four. My prognostication is that BYU women's soccer will make it there before the Men's basketball team.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #7
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It would be great to make it to the final four. My prognostication is that BYU women's soccer will make it there before the Men's basketball team.
Even though womens volleyball at BYU has always been pretty good, I wouldn't have predicted a couple of years ago that they'd get to the final four before womens soccer.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
BlueK

BYU beats Cal 2-0! On the pre-season coaches poll BYU was ranked #19 and Cal #18. On the other poll BYU was #16 and Cal #15. On Monday BYU plays #3 Stanford.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
BlueK

BYU moves up to #14 this week on one of the polls. The coaches poll is not out yet.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...rankings/women
Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 AM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
BYU moves up to #14 this week on one of the polls. The coaches poll is not out yet.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/colle...rankings/women
Hawaiian weather cancels game against Stanford.