cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would highly recommend wearing a helmet and lifejacket when windsurfing. I've been a half-mile from the shore, and I can't swim a half-mile.

Also, there was a windsurfer in Austin. He got hit by something, either a board or a boat, and went down and didn't come up. If he had had a lifejacket he probably would have lived.

Also, I have been slammed so hard windsurfing, that even with a helmet, I had a bad headache.

Surfing is about waiting. Windsurfing and wakeboarding is about action. Nonstop action.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Kitesurfing--now that is something I will not try. Way, way dangerous.

Look at this:
Old 05-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would highly recommend wearing a helmet and lifejacket when windsurfing. I've been a half-mile from the shore, and I can't swim a half-mile.

Also, there was a windsurfer in Austin. He got hit by something, either a board or a boat, and went down and didn't come up. If he had had a lifejacket he probably would have lived.

Also, I have been slammed so hard windsurfing, that even with a helmet, I had a bad headache.

Surfing is about waiting. Windsurfing and wakeboarding is about action. Nonstop action.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

surfing circle-jerk taken to new levels.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I've been knocked out on the wakeboard and had probably my worst fall on anything on the Air Chair. Catching an edge on a wakeboard is a bitch, as it feels like falling onto concrete going about 30 mph. Certainly enough to leave you with a nasty headache for the rest of the day.

I probably should wear a helmet, but haven't done so. I always wear a life jacket though. The other thing, and I am sure windsurfing is similar, is that Wakeboarding kicks my ass. My core and thighs get a nice workout from the pulling against the rope with all the carving. It's a sore feeling, but the good kind. Then to relax, we throw out the Wake surf and cruise. I'm hoping to get out and try surfing this summer on our trip to SoCal.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

windsurfing is grueling. when you are a beginner. But for the experienced, it is not so grueling, as you tend to use your body weight to control the sail and board.

Forget surfing. Try windsurfing.

One thing surfing has going for it is that it is a lot cheaper.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
One thing surfing has going for it is that it is a lot cheaper.
Considering I will be staying with family who own surfing gear, and not windsurfing gear, I think I'll be giving surfing a shot this summer. If you want to take me out windsurfing, I may take you up on that sometime.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
surfing circle-jerk taken to new levels.
Moron, they usually do this when someone has died.

Way to be insensitive.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Considering I will be staying with family who own surfing gear, and not windsurfing gear, I think I'll be giving surfing a shot this summer. If you want to take me out windsurfing, I may take you up on that sometime.
where are you going this summer?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote