cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble brewing with the missus.

I gather that some of you experience conflict with your wives over your training schedules. I may have the opposite problem. I work out 4-6 days a week for 45 minutes or so. Nothing terribly strenuous; combining some weights, maybe 2-3 miles of running, Lifecycle for 30 minutes, road bike for 45, whatever. Mrs. PAC and I used to ride for two hours or more on Saturdays, but that ended with the nasty accident in '04, after which I didn't ride again until last year. Now, we pretty much go our own way.

But since moving to Pleasanton, she has fallen in with a tough crowd--7-8 women who ride. A lot. In the past four days she has done a couple of Calaveras loops, each over 40 miles with probably 2,500 feet of elevation gain. I realize that ain't much for you hardcore types, but considering she's a 55 year-old grandma and mother of 6, you can color me impressed. Problem is, I actually have to work during the week, and have neither the time nor desire to keep up. Is there some form of recreational pharmaceutical that can help me narrow the widening fitness gap?

PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I gather that some of you experience conflict with your wives over your training schedules. I may have the opposite problem. I work out 4-6 days a week for 45 minutes or so. Nothing terribly strenuous; combining some weights, maybe 2-3 miles of running, Lifecycle for 30 minutes, road bike for 45, whatever. Mrs. PAC and I used to ride for two hours or more on Saturdays, but that ended with the nasty accident in '04, after which I didn't ride again until last year. Now, we pretty much go our own way.

But since moving to Pleasanton, she has fallen in with a tough crowd--7-8 women who ride. A lot. In the past four days she has done a couple of Calaveras loops, each over 40 miles with probably 2,500 feet of elevation gain. I realize that ain't much for you hardcore types, but considering she's a 55 year-old grandma and mother of 6, you can color me impressed. Problem is, I actually have to work during the week, and have neither the time nor desire to keep up. Is there some form of recreational pharmaceutical that can help me narrow the widening fitness gap?

Sorry for being dense, but does th elink relate to the message? Nice photos, however.

Sounds to me like it is time for you to do what I do. Get back on the tandem and let your wife drag your sorry butt up and down the east bay hills.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Sorry for being dense, but does th elink relate to the message? Nice photos, however.

Sounds to me like it is time for you to do what I do. Get back on the tandem and let your wife drag your sorry butt up and down the east bay hills.
Now I'M the one who's being dense. What link? I don't see one. I was going to post a picture of my hot wife (the pic was from my daughter's blog), but I decided against it. I don't see any link, but perhaps it appears to everyone else. Very weird. Even if I go to edit the post, I see no link.

The tandem is a good idea, but as I've aged, I find I get momentary dizziness when I turn my head quickly to the right or left. It subsides within a few seconds, but it's enough to make me feel a bit unsteady, particularly if I'm captaining a tandem. Still, I may give it a shot.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
creekster

Here is the link that appears in your post:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...ey=J3aozei-xDM

It is to a picasa album with what appear to be your family photos. Try highlighting the post to see if it is a hidden link. In any event, I assure you it is there for me and almost certainly for others.

Edited addition:

here is somethign weird: the link doesn't work out of my post but it still works out of yours, where I see it. Who knows what is going on. Maybe Waters can figure it out from admin's perspective.

Last edited by creekster; 11-11-2008 at 07:06 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

My mom just ran a 50k trail run in 6hr +.

You are a wuss.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

PAC I'm guessing you make a very good living. Why not take six hours out of your work week and ride and then go on some of those longer rides with your wife on the weekends. I've heard it said that nobody has ever said on their death bed "I wish I would have spent less time with my family and worked harder", or something like that.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
creekster

Am I the only one that sees that link?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I see nothing. And I clicked on the link you posted and I got an error 404.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I see nothing. And I clicked on the link you posted and I got an error 404.
Same here.

Creek - you haven't been sniffing markers today, have you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Same here.

Creek - you haven't been sniffing markers today, have you?
I just sent digital evidence to PAC that I can see the album. I have no idea why.

Maybe I am on a higher plane than most of you here (I knew it! I always KNEW it!).