cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chris Benoit

This whole Chris Benoit thing is bizzare and very sad.

I know that it has been a few days, but I just can't believe that someone could be driven to end his life, and the life of his wife & kid that way...truly sad and sick.

I hope the WWE is at least rethinking their Vince is dead angle that they've been advertising.

I would hope that someday soon, someone comes down on the WWE and at least gets these guys help or assistance for their problems...I don't even know if that is possible for roid rage...but so many wrestlers have died for one reason or another...it's just so sad and crazy.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

68 professional wrestlers have died since 1985 before the age of 45. That is an astounding number.

Also almost half of those have been by suicide. I was reading Bill Simmons on ESPN and he said this thing with Chris Benoit is equivalent to Jeter, Duncan or Mcnabb doing this to their family that he was one of the top 10 greatest of all time, and was reaching Hulk Hogan status.

I havent followed wrestling for a long time but that sure puts it in to perspective. Hopefully Rocky can chime in a little when he gets back.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Did they determine it was a murder/suicide? I haven't heard anything.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Did they determine it was a murder/suicide? I haven't heard anything.
Yes killed his wife friday night by strangling her, then saturday morning smothered his son (hopefully while he was still sleeping), then hung himself sunday morning.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Yes killed his wife friday night by strangling her, then saturday morning smothered his son (hopefully while he was still sleeping), then hung himself sunday morning.
Well then, I hope he rots in hell for killing a kid. I have no sympathy for child murderers, be they mentally ill or not.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Let his name be infamous forever.

Hopefully idiots who watch that wrestling stuff will stop.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

WWE did in fact re-think and completely abandon the character of Mr. McMahon's demise.

At the beginning of the RAW broadcast on Monday Night he actually stood in the middle of the ring, in an empty arena (the show was cancelled that night) and stated that they were basically dropping that storyline and then they did a 3 hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

They received word of his death around 4PM,,,about 2 hours before the show was to go on the air. At that time they didn't know or were aware of the murder/suicide situation and had they been informed of those grisly details, my guess is that they wouldn't have gone ahead with the tribute. Shortly after it was reported about what Benoit did, they retracted all and any tribute articles from their official website.

I was really sad when I heard about this whole thing. Yes, I'm a dork,,and most of you know I've watched the entertainment of professional wrestling for a very long time, and at one point almost went to work for the WWE, but decided that 300+ days a year on the road wasn't what I wanted for my wife and young at that time barely 2 year old marriage.

The number of Superstars who've passed over the past several years is really startling. The culture of drug abuse and wearing one's self to thin to the point of almost no return is unfortunately all too prevalent in that industry.

I've met dozens and dozens of these guys and to a man all of them were very complimentary, approachable and very gracious with their time to fans and others wanting to speak with them. I never got to meet Chris Benoit, but by all accounts he was a very private man with a very small inner circle of trusted friends. I was absolutely shocked when I first heard of the news.

Eddie Guerrero's death was equally as sad. His heart gave out that was scarred by years of drug abuse. The saddest death to me was Owen Hart's. His was entirely preventable and an accident in the ring falling 40 feet to his death was really sad.

In the past several years stars like Owen Hart, Big Boss Man (Ray Traylor), Mr. Perfect (Curt Henning), Eddie Guerrero, Bam Bam Bigelow, and many others including Miss Elizabeth and Sensational Sherri have passed away. The Ultimate Warrior "dying from his heart exploding due to steroids use" is a myth. Jim Hellwing,,,aka.. Ultimate Warrior/Warrior is alive and well, and has been all this time. In fact he speaks at colleges all over the country nowadays as a far right wing conservative with an interesting over the top philosophy.

I love the entertainment aspect of it. Yes,,,I know..that makes me a dork/loser,,,lol..or whatever. The Physical and mental pounding these guys take being on the road as long as they are and as many nights they're in the ring far exceeds what other professional athletes have to endure.

Okay,,,I could ramble on forever about many aspects of the industry, so I'll just quit now.

Oh,,,and Bill Simmons is full of crap. Benoit, while considered one of the great ring techinicians of all-time was NOWHERE near the elevation of a Hulk Hogan. Maybe 4-5 wrestlers in history can claim to have reached or got close to the status that Hulk Hogan got/had. That being The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Ric Flair, Undertaker and maybe Bill Goldberg. But...Benoit like Hogan?lol.....Not even close. Him comparing it to someone like a Derek Jeter or someone else of that regard is Bullyewt.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 06-27-2007 at 07:46 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

My buddy sent me this article that you might find interesting...or very sad...

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6964262?MSNHPHMA
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well then, I hope he rots in hell for killing a kid. I have no sympathy for child murderers, be they mentally ill or not.
Amen.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:41 PM   #10
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

this is very interesting...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote