cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default New offensive concept for Cougs?

Up until Lamar it has been clear that Tav and Plaisted are the 1 and 2 offensive threats on this team. Against Lamar it was clear that many more things were being done to get Cummard looks. He has always been better at choosing his shots than Tavernari and, as a result, is more efficient. Is is possible that Rose is going to decrease Tav's role to that of a spot up shooter and start letting Lee post up more and come off screens more? The start of MSU (before foul trouble) looked like that and Lamar definitely looked like that. If that is the case, we are a better team IMHO. Tavernari will score more efficiently as a third threat. It will let him focus on being a long range shooter off the inside out play. Cummard will be able to outquick or post up anyone guarding him. This will create better shots than Tav gets because Tav can't outquick anybody. I hope this is what's happening because I thought this years team would be best if Cummard or Plaisted was leading scorer and Tav was stretching the defense with threes. If he gets hot he can still be the leading scorer but when guarded, he kills our offense by chucking too many shots up.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Up until Lamar it has been clear that Tav and Plaisted are the 1 and 2 offensive threats on this team. Against Lamar it was clear that many more things were being done to get Cummard looks. He has always been better at choosing his shots than Tavernari and, as a result, is more efficient. Is is possible that Rose is going to decrease Tav's role to that of a spot up shooter and start letting Lee post up more and come off screens more? The start of MSU (before foul trouble) looked like that and Lamar definitely looked like that. If that is the case, we are a better team IMHO. Tavernari will score more efficiently as a third threat. It will let him focus on being a long range shooter off the inside out play. Cummard will be able to outquick or post up anyone guarding him. This will create better shots than Tav gets because Tav can't outquick anybody. I hope this is what's happening because I thought this years team would be best if Cummard or Plaisted was leading scorer and Tav was stretching the defense with threes. If he gets hot he can still be the leading scorer but when guarded, he kills our offense by chucking too many shots up.
Anything that starts phasing out Tavanari as one of the primary offensive threats is a benefit for BYU. I think Rose should make Tavarnari the go to guy. That is what I would suggest.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
It's a great strategy, but only if Cummard can stay out of foul trouble and be consistently aggressive on offense. Cummard will be aggressive on offense and then he'll disappear for a few games, getting garbage points and an occasional three. He's been doing it ever since he came. He scored 30 points in the blue white game his freshman year. This isn't a new thing that he shows flashes of a valid option on offense.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It's a great strategy, but only if Cummard can stay out of foul trouble and be consistently aggressive on offense. Cummard will be aggressive on offense and then he'll disappear for a few games, getting garbage points and an occasional three. He's been doing it ever since he came. He scored 30 points in the blue white game his freshman year. This isn't a new thing that he shows flashes of a valid option on offense.
I think his aggressiveness is inversely correlated to the effort he needs to expend on defense. The easier his guard is, the more offensively aggressive.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote