cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #61
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am proud of my BYU gear. For example, if you wear stuff with just the Y logo on it, people will often see it from afar and think you went to Yale.
This actually happened to me. I was visiting friends at UCSD and had a navy hoodie on that just had a solid block Y on it. One of my buddy's friends came up to me and said you must be a Yale boy. I said yeah.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #62
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are lightweights:

1. I am a Season football and basketball ticket holder.
2. I attend every home game for both sports each year.
3. Since I have become an Adult (8 years now) I have attended at least 2 road games, and the bowl game every year (yes including the Liberty Bowl)
4. I follow recruiting very heavily, including attending highschool games of high profile cougar recruits. (In fact after the Washington game I plan on attending the Punahou game at Qwest Field and watching Manti Te'o)
5. I own more BYU year than I know what to do with, in fact the week leading up to the first game I wear a different BYU polo and hat each day and it takes me about 30 minutes before games to decide what I am going to wear)
6. My wife attends all games with me and actually knows what is going on (this was like training my dog, it was a long tedious process but in the end it was worth it)
7. When my daughter was being extracted from my wifes vagina, I put my BYU beanie right in her line of sight so the Y logo was the first thing she saw, the doctor quickly pushed me away because he almost dropped her.
8. If BYU loses I am depressed, I seriously get pissed and analyze what went wrong.
9. I rewatch all games numerous times focusing on different positions each time. QBs, RBs, O-line, Wideouts, then on to the defensive side of the ball.
10. I used to sneak in to practices even when Crowton was in charge I would climb the Ivy.
11. In 2001, I wore the blue coaches polo, tan khaki pants and walked right on to the field in warmups, and then made it up to the press box in the elevator before being kicked out.
12. Yes I am a nerd I know.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #63
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

3. Since I have become an Adult (8 years now) I have attended at least 2 road games, and the bowl game every year (yes including the Liberty Bowl)
4. I follow recruiting very heavily, including attending highschool games of high profile cougar recruits. (In fact after the Washington game I plan on attending the Punahou game at Qwest Field and watching Manti Te'o)
5. I own more BYU year than I know what to do with, in fact the week leading up to the first game I wear a different BYU polo and hat each day and it takes me about 30 minutes before games to decide what I am going to wear)
6. My wife attends all games with me and actually knows what is going on (this was like training my dog, it was a long tedious process but in the end it was worth it)
7. When my daughter was being extracted from my wifes vagina, I put my BYU beanie right in her line of sight so the Y logo was the first thing she saw, the doctor quickly pushed me away because he almost dropped her.
8. If BYU loses I am depressed, I seriously get pissed and analyze what went wrong.
9. I rewatch all games numerous times focusing on different positions each time. QBs, RBs, O-line, Wideouts, then on to the defensive side of the ball.
10. I used to sneak in to practices even when Crowton was in charge I would climb the Ivy.
11. In 2001, I wore the blue coaches polo, tan khaki pants and walked right on to the field in warmups, and then made it up to the press box in the elevator before being kicked out.
I have been convinced that I am a 4. But I still should get credit for the fact that I have met very few whose historical grasp of BYU sports history since 1980 is as in depth as mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #64
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I have been convinced that I am a 4. But I still should get credit for the fact that I have met very few whose historical grasp of BYU sports history since 1980 is as in depth as mine.
I agree you should get points for longevity. I was only a casual follower of BYU before 1996 which happens to be the year I moved to Utah.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #65
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Put me down for a 3. After Ricks I was looking at schools and decided on BYU over USU because of the football program. After a couple of years in Provo and deciding I needed to get my life back on the straight and narrow I transfered to BSU which was a better fit for me. I cheer for BYU against everyone except BSU. I follow BYU football through this board, CB and watching channel 5. The last game I went to was when USC came to town. I would watch the games if they still came on channel 5 but I'm not going to get Mtn. to watch. I watch a couple of BSU games a year but honestly during the fall I'm either on my bike or golfing during game time. I'm a huge sports fan but also a very diverse one.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #66
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty high on the charts.

1. I get tickets to every home game every year (which tickets depend on my financial position at the time - I'm currently a Cougar Clubber).
2. I do my damnedest to get to every game AT LEAST 30 minutes early (very much easier now that I don't take the wife, who is never on time for anything).
3. I wear BYU gear pretty much every day, usually in the form of a hat but 2-3 times a week (more on game weeks) includes shirts.
4. I attend all the basketball games I can, and am considering season tickets this year.
5. I follow recruiting fairly closely.
6. I will watch televised & even go to high-school games involving future BYU'ers, if I'm able.
7. I try to buy at least three BYU-logo items every year (one hat, at least one shirt).
8. I am giving every effort so that my daughter's first words are some combination of "BYU, Go, Cougars."
9. My daughter probably already has the fight song committed to memory (she's 11 months old). She grins every time I sing it.
10. I attend every open practice I can in Spring & Fall.
11. I will arrange to watch BYU football if I am for whatever reason unable to attend in person.

Things that ding my fanhood:
1. I once bought "Utah Blitz" ice cream. I didn't want to, but they were out of Cougar Craze, and that is my favorite ice cream (caramel cups, fudge swirl, vanilla ice cream. Yum). I tried to redeem myself by burning the container in a solemn ceremony, and by buying extra Cougar Craze that year.

2. I did not go to games, and did not watch all games in the Dark Years under Crowton. This was more about a family & financial issue than desire, and I pray for forgiveness to the BYU gods daily.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #67
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Put me down for a 3. After Ricks I was looking at schools and decided on BYU over USU because of the football program. After a couple of years in Provo and deciding I needed to get my life back on the straight and narrow I transfered to BSU which was a better fit for me. I cheer for BYU against everyone except BSU. I follow BYU football through this board, CB and watching channel 5. The last game I went to was when USC came to town. I would watch the games if they still came on channel 5 but I'm not going to get Mtn. to watch. I watch a couple of BSU games a year but honestly during the fall I'm either on my bike or golfing during game time. I'm a huge sports fan but also a very diverse one.
BFM has said that those who split their allegiances are posers.

I think that is unfair. It is easy to like "only" BYU or the U if you grew up in Utah and lived there your whole life. Before I joined the Church, the only thing I knew about BYU was that their national championship was *ahem* controversial. It isnt my fault I wasnt born into the Church.

I think BFM needs to cut some slack to guys like RC and I, although technically RC roots for BSU over BYU. I also was at the SC game in Provo....wearing blue and cheering for the Y....as Reggie and LenDale both rushed for over 100 yards each...LOL. what a slaughter that was.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #68
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

My strengths...

I care. When Bronco punts on 4th and 3 from the opponent's 35 yard line in the 4th quarter of a close game, I get upset.

I watch every game.

I'm raising my son to be an avid BYU fan.

I can name all contributing players. I follow recruiting fairly closely.

I'm just as passionate about basketball as I am about football.

My weaknesses...

I seldom go to games as I hate crowds. I had season tickets for a couple years before I moved to Seattle - while it was fun, I have no desire to purchase them again. I've never been to a road game or a bowl game.

I own very little BYU gear. In fact, I have a BYU hat that I never wear. No BYU shirts, etc.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #69
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

Ditto except for the kid part and basketball season ticket holder part.

I'm a nerd on so many levels.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #70
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i want to go to the michigan game, but nobody will travel with me.
I'll go with you under the following conditions:

1) You pay for ticket and gas
2) I get to root for Michigan
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote