cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #11
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Stevens is the greatest pork barrel politician of all time. He's brought untold billions of our money to Alaskans. Maybe it's a cheap shot for the feds to have tried him not before his peers. But they couldn't even get an indictment up there.
How much pork has Murtha garned for his district? How about Ohbama in just two years?

Considering that Alaska has huge oil reserves, it's no surprise that they may have been helped the most. Thank goodness we have at least one state who can help us become independent of the middle east.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ted Stevens is an absolute disgrace, and Don Young isn't far behind him. The sooner we purge ourselves of these two, the better.
I take the Dem view on this. It's a game between two political parties and the more Repubs we have the better.......regardless of some pork barrel projects.

BTW.......do you know of any Dem that has been purged by their party? I will say Repubs are better at it than Dems.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

When Wyoming Sen. Craig Thomas died last year the Governor (a Dem) asked the Republicans for three names and then he choose one from that list. That person (Barasso) had to stand for election in the next general election (Tues) even though Thomas had just won reelection and had four or five years left on his term. I don't know if this was a state law thing or a federal law thing.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am all for voting Stevens in and the Senate letting him serve while a convicted felon. While I am an equal opportunity guy, let Tony Redsko (sp) out and let him serve in Obama's cabinet as HUD secretary.

I think we need these guys as a reminder of the rest of those bums we elect and put in Congress who don't get caught.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

The people of the District elected Marion Barry subsequent to his guilty plea on charges of possessing crack. Of course those were misdemeanors.

I'm surprised that AK law doesn't prohibit him from holding public office as a felon. Though I suppose this is what ultimately controls:

Section 5. Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, and a majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business; but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the attendance of absent members, in such manner, and under such penalties as each House may provide.

Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two thirds, expel a member.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I am under the impression that the governor doesn't appoint a Senator in such instances in Alaska, but rather the state holds a special election. I will try to look it up.
I think the governor appoints. Frank Murkowski appointed his daughter when he stepped out of his long held Senate seat to run for governor and won (he was eventually beaten by Palin when he ran for re-election). His daughter, who was later re-elected to the seanate, was on her fourth try to pass the bar when I took it up there.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't think it is final yet. It sounds like there may be many absentee and provisional ballots still to go through. If Stevens does win, it is an embarrassing moment for Alaska, and a moment the Republican party could do without. The Democrats would love to have the seat, but they may get more mileage politically out of a Stevens win, particularly if he refuses to resign. The Senate could drag out his expulsion for months, holding several hearings in the process. Stevens, once imprisoned, couldn't vote (he couldn't be on the floor of the Senate), so he would be a Republican with no ability to help his party at all.

Alaska is the gift that keeps on giving.

I have no idea what Alaskans were thinking. I can't ever imagine going to the polls and knowingly casting a vote for a convicted felon. That is crazy.
2 things:

1. Probably among both parties, there's a sentiment, "I just can't bring myself to vote for a democrat/republican. There's a little bit that going on, I'm sure.

2. If Stevens goes to jail, he's going to lose his seat, and a republican would certainly be appointed in his stead.

Also, does Alaska have the option to just check one box for a party to vote a straight-party ticket? If so, that could also have had an effect.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote