cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #131
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Are you talking about all economists, or economists in universities? If the former, I don't buy for a second that 60% are Democrats.
You are right.

Business economists go for GOP.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/searc...sts+go+for+gop
Old 11-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #132
ChinoCoug

Studying economics makes people more conservative!

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/...servative.html
Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #133
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm speaking about the university level Democrats accounting for 80 percent, which what I believe was Pelagius's number.
academic economists:

58% Democrat
23% Republican

http://www2.sofi.su.se/wp/WP06-6.pdf

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 11-17-2009 at 08:09 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #134
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
academic economists:

58% Democrat
23% Republican

http://www2.sofi.su.se/wp/WP06-6.pdf
The three to one ratio doesn't surprise me. Where in the Swedish paper can I find the support? I don't feel like looking for it.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #135
Archaea

Quote:
The three to one ratio doesn't surprise me. Where in the Swedish paper can I find the support? I don't feel like looking for it.
Check out the ratios here.

http://www.ratio.se/pdf/wp/dk_aw_voter.pdf
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #136
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I just have to interject here: there is some wonderful unintentional comedy in watching you guys fall over yourselves debating Cali's completely irrelevant assertion that "virtually every" economist thinks Obama has accelerated recovery and slowed job losses.

I guess Noriel Roubini is in the minority.

Sorry to interrupt. Do carry on.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #137
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Absolutely nuts. I'm suprised how many depts have 0 Republicans.

Quote:

p. 6
Old 11-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #138
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I just have to interject here: there is some wonderful unintentional comedy in watching you guys fall over yourselves debating Cali's completely irrelevant assertion that "virtually every" economist thinks Obama has accelerated recovery and slowed job losses.

I guess Noriel Roubini is in the minority.

Sorry to interrupt. Do carry on.
Goodness gracious Tex, finish reading your own links.

Quote:
There's really just one hope for our leaders to turn things around: a bold prescription that increases the fiscal stimulus with another round of labor-intensive, shovel-ready infrastructure projects, helps fiscally strapped state and local governments and provides a temporary tax credit to the private sector to hire more workers.
He's saying we need more of the same because the first stimulus was insufficient.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #139
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Absolutely nuts. I'm suprised how many depts have 0 Republicans.
The others noted that a 2 to 1 ratio is grave cause for concern but a 5 to 1 ratio marginalizes the minority too significantly.

And as you noted, many departments had ZERO Republicans. Talk about experiencing a variety of ideas.

The Green Party is represented disproportionately and the Libertarians aren't even represented at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #140
Archaea

Note this comment, on page 24,

Quote:
Some might suggest that Berkeley and Stanford are non-representative, because the San Francisco Bay Area is significantly more Democratic that the national average. We suspect that this point deserves some weight. However, we doubt that geography has very much to do with the intellectual character of academics and researchers. By self-sorting, training, and professional immersion, they identify (intellectually) primarily with their discipline, not their institution or their locale, and the “invisible college” of their respective disciplines cuts laterally across geography. The Klein & Stern survey evidence helps to mount a general case that all academic disciplines, including economics, range from predominately to rock-solidly Democratic.
and the following observation:

Quote:
The meaning of lopsidedness for university life is a topic for another occasion. Here we offer a single point: University governance consists primarily of departmental autonomy, and departments operate on the basis of majoritarianism (and to a small extent chair prerogative). A ratio of even 2 to 1 is deadly to the minority. A ratio of 5 to 1 means marginalization. Someone of a minority viewpoint is dependent frequently on the cooperation of her departmental colleagues for many small considerations.

7 CSPC’s report (Horowitz and Lehrer 2002) included findings uniformly across all schools for six departments: economics, English, history, philosophy, political science, and sociology, while their Berkeley and Stanford datasets in Excel files (obtained from Mr. Andrew Jones) also include Civil and Environmental Engineering. For all seven departments, our study arrives at a one-big-pool ratio for Berkeley of 13.6 to 1, versus CSPC’s 8.1 to 1, and for Stanford 8.2 to 1, versus CSPC’s 9.6 to 1. On a department by department basis, in 10 cases our D to R ratio was greater than CSPC’s, and in four cases theirs was greater (this counts 17-to-0 as greater than 14-to-0). The data generally match up, except that ours more reliably obtained a reading, and that the lists differed somewhat. Because our investigation was conducted two years after CSPC’s, discrepancies need not be indicative of error.

Lopsidedness means that dissenters are avoided or expelled, and that any who survive are very unlikely to be vocal critics of the dominant viewpoints.
These facts are inherently important. Academia is a major part of the political culture; it profoundly influences how tens of millions of Americans will understand social affairs and, indeed, their own personal selfhood. The next step, then, is full awareness. All interested parties—students, parents, taxpayers, and the faculty themselves—should become aware of the facts.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-17-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote