cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 04:14 AM   #11
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I just read that whole Benjamin document. Very interesting stuff! As I am currently studying the history of polygamy in our church I found his description of Joseph revealing polygamy to him fascinating. When he tells Benjamin that he is planning on taking Benjamin's sister as a wife. Benjamin replies:

"Brother Joseph, this is something I did not expect, and I do not understand it. You know whether it is right, I do not. I want to do just as you tell me, and I will try, but if I ever should know that you do this to dishonor and debauch my sister, I will kill you as sure as the Lord lives." And while his eyes did not move from mine, he said with a smile, in a soft tone: "But Benjamin you will never know that, but you will know the principle in time, and will greatly rejoice in what it will bring to you."
Polygamy is one of those issues that has always left a sour taste in my mouth. I have just never been able to believe that it was ordained by God. Joseph Smith was not a perfect man, and I believe the institution of polygamy is a testament to that.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:20 AM   #12
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Polygamy is one of those issues that has always left a sour taste in my mouth. I have just never been able to believe that it was ordained by God. Joseph Smith was not a perfect man, and I believe the institution of polygamy is a testament to that.
Do you feel the same way about biblical prophets who condoned the act
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:34 AM   #13
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Do you feel the same way about biblical prophets who condoned the act
It's more difficult to comment on Biblical prophets, because we don't have nearly as much background information on their lives as we do the lives of modern prophets. But if I had to guess, I'd say guys like Solomon who had 700 wives and 300 concubines were not the best examples of moral rectitude.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

I must confess, if today's prophet said there are too many single sisters out there and the church population needed them to have babies, and needed someone to sleep with their choice of 700 of them.....I would raise my hand and say I'm just the guy for the job.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur

I can certainly understand your point of view. I believe it bothers any reasonable man or woman. However, I believe that he was indeed commanded to institute the practice. And that the institution of polygamy, though awkward and a tremendous sacrifice for the woman and men involved has "raised up a righteous generation" in the church.

I really feel for Joseph. The doctrine cost him his happy relationship with Emma. It cost him some of his dearest friends from his innermost circle. It caused him a tremendous amount of stress and in the end it hastened his death. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him to have to reveal that doctrine to his friends and to the women he felt had been given to him. Looking at it from his point of view, he knew he had been commanded to practice polygamy. He also knew that any reasonable person in the church would be horrified to learn of the practice just as he was. He knew that to some he would forever be seen as a pervert. He knew that as he slowly began to take new wives and reveal to more and more people what he was commanded to do that it would cost him dearly. But he (in my opinion) still did what he was commanded to do.

I feel both for Joseph and for those members of the church who were not able to accept the doctrine. I can't imagine how I would have reacted. It's a much tougher thing to accept than anything we have had to deal with thus far in our generation. But it gave us a generation of leaders with Abraham like obedience and it gave the church a base of strong families to be the foundation for worldwide growth.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #16
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Okay all jokes aside, I feel that polygamy is the second highest act of devotion to God that a person can make, exceeded only by the Abrahamic test of slaying your children.

The greatest commandment of all is to love God with all of our hearts.

However, our relationship with God in this life, for all we can remember, is purely spiritual. Unlike the relationship with our spouses who we love spiritually, physically and emotionally, who we see daily and know and understand better than anyone, including God.

Polygamy is a real test of a strong marriage. Although it may have a noble purpose such as accelerated creation of children for the kingdom, through it, God is asking his followers to let others into that very personal, intimate relationship. The downfall of Joseph and Emma's relationship is an example of how a marriage can be strained if polygamy is involved but all parties are not 100% faithfully sold on the doctrine.

I think of that commandment and also of the Abrahamic test, and think damn God seems awfully insecure. However that's because I think as a mortal and don't really understand it all myself.