cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 02:34 PM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBlue
I agree with those in this thread that suggest we just bag scouting altogether.

Scouts is fun for some, but making it a cultural requirement that every LDS boy learn how to tie knots, make boondoggle keychains, play with fire, and participate in a Klondike Derby is just silly. Some kids like that stuff, some don't. It has to be one of the oddest things about our LDS culture, the fascination with Boy Scouts and parents earning their kids' Eagle awards.

One of the best decisions I made in my adolescence was to quit scouts, which even then came at least a year after I had become tired of it. I was able to focus on the things I actually enjoyed that helped me develop into who I am today. Truth be told, I can only tie a clove hitch these days...but oddly enough I've never regretted not remembering my knots better.

Kudos to those of you passionate about scouting. Not for me. Throw out the whole thing.

This will likely be my first and last contribution to this particular forum.
Although I am no scouter, a couple of notes.

Scouting helps boys be boys and in many respects is an equalizer. It's not a big deal if a kid is rich or poor, they all basically do the same things.

It also helps those kids with no activity to do something. For us, with our kids active in so much it can be a pain, but for some boys, it's the only activity they receive. I admire our good scouting leaders and know they are doing something to help our youth.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

"My son doesn't like being outside, doesn't like nature, doesn't like being put in new situations, doesn't like socializing with his peers, so we think it is best for him to not be in scouting."

How can I argue with that?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
"My son doesn't like being outside, doesn't like nature, doesn't like being put in new situations, doesn't like socializing with his peers, so we think it is best for him to not be in scouting."

How can I argue with that?
Tell them he can be very happy as a bedroom-dweilling anti-social loner when he grows up.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
Tell them he can be very happy as a bedroom-dweilling anti-social loner when he grows up.
I bet he becomes great at X-box.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #25
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Our new Ensign arrived yesterday. I saw that one of the main articles is a call for parents to help their sons earn the DTG award. There is also an article about DTG and Scouting working together. I haven't read either article, but I thought it was funny. Almost like they were reading our thread.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Why dont' we have adult DTG awards? I mean, if awards are so important, why stop when you are a kid? Home teaching, temple, tithing, etc. Recognize them once a year on the stand as the go-to guys. Give them a little trinket.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote