cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shooting guns at campouts

is there any sort of gun that you would be upset to find that your son shot at a supervised campout (supervised of course)?

In other words, you might be fine with your son shooting a .22, but be upset to find out that a scout leader brought an AK-47.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
is there any sort of gun that you would be upset to find that your son shot at a supervised campout (supervised of course)?

In other words, you might be fine with your son shooting a .22, but be upset to find out that a scout leader brought an AK-47.
Only full-auto guns - they are illegal without a special license (I think it's a federal class C license).

All semi-auto rifles are functionally the same. In other words, the semi-auto AK-47 is functionally the same as the .22 semi-auto rifle. It may look scarier but it is functionally the same.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Only full-auto guns - they are illegal without a special license (I think it's a federal class C license).

All semi-auto rifles are functionally the same. In other words, the semi-auto AK-47 is functionally the same as the .22 semi-auto rifle. It may look scarier but it is functionally the same.
I know what semi-autos are. I'm talking about parents' perceptions.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yes, I would be upset kids were shooting AK-47's at a campout. Our troop's two for two when it comes to ER visits for knife injuries the last two supervised scout camps. Hate to see what they'd do with AK's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Yes, I would be upset kids were shooting AK-47's at a campout. Our troop's two for two when it comes to ER visits for knife injuries the last two supervised scout camps. Hate to see what they'd do with AK's.
would you feel the same if they were shooting .22s?

Hmm, maybe I should get parental permission slips when we shoot guns.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Tough call, Mike. Technically, you are supposed to have NRA-certified leaders for all BSA shooting activities. On the other hand, if you showed up with AK-47's your boys would love you.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Probably. I don't think I'd assume scouts would be shooting guns on a campout unless it was a scout camp deal where it was at a shooting range for a merit badge. I'd definitely want to know beforehand.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Tough call, Mike. Technically, you are supposed to have NRA-certified leaders for all BSA shooting activities. On the other hand, if you showed up with AK-47's your boys would love you.
our troop has a long history of shooting at campouts, and we've never had a NRA certified instructor/leader.

When I've had them shoot with my gun(s), I am standing over them like a hawk, and only one gun is being shot at a time. I bring eye and hearing protection.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
our troop has a long history of shooting at campouts, and we've never had a NRA certified instructor/leader.

When I've had them shoot with my gun(s), I am standing over them like a hawk, and only one gun is being shot at a time. I bring eye and hearing protection.
Same here. But that is the BSA rule.

We went to the local shooting range recently with the priests and played the Annie Oakley game at the trap range. They all said it was their favorite activity of the year.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Same here. But that is the BSA rule.

We went to the local shooting range recently with the priests and played the Annie Oakley game at the trap range. They all said it was their favorite activity of the year.
you shot at clays with rifles? I hope you were shooting into the side of a mountain.