cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The most decorated scout I have met

Eagle Scout.
Highest award in Varsity Scouts.
2nd highest award in Venture Scouts, with the highest pending in a couple of months.

Earned a prestigious national BSA conservation award, and plans to major in a conservation field, after going on a mission.

This kid has it together.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Are all uniforms forest green now? They used to be tan.

Is it common to wear the eagle pin rather than sew on the badge?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Are all uniforms forest green now? They used to be tan.

Is it common to wear the eagle pin rather than sew on the badge?
That's the Venture uniform.

There is a new scout uniform coming out in August. The main difference being new nylon material, and less red.

I think he had the pin on because he was getting the award that night. He has a knot on his uniform also indicating he earned the Eagle.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Some day when you are all ready, I will burden you with my scouting story of forced rank advancement and achievement.

Let's just say this much.....unless this kid's mom AND dad have earned the Silver Beaver award, he is a rookie.

National Jamboree, World Jamboree, Jr Woodbadge training, Golden Acorn, Philmont, Eagle Scout, OA, double palms, blah blah blah. And I hated almost all of it.

I seriously hate Scouts and would be perfectly happy if the program ceased to exist tomorrow.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This kid appeared to thoroughly be enjoying scouts, and was a self-starter, and planned to continue his scouting work in his life's work. He appeared to be bright, sincere, and driven.

In other words, an anti-DDD.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This kid appeared to thoroughly be enjoying scouts, and was a self-starter, and planned to continue his scouting work in his life's work. He appeared to be bright, sincere, and driven.

In other words, an anti-DDD.
The world needs full-time Scouters, so bless his heart. Someone has to stay behind and lie to all the incoming Scouts about how important it is to earn your Eagle. Why not him?

You are sometimes good for an honest answer. Have you ever lied to your scouts about how important and helpful it will be for them to earn their Eagle?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 06-24-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The world needs full-time Scouters, so bless his heart. Someone has to stay behind and lie to all the incoming Scouts about how important it is to earn your Eagle. Why not him?

You are sometimes good for an honest answer. Have you ever lied to your scouts about how important and helpful it will be for them to earn their Eagle?
actually, my biggest failing as a SM is my lack of emphasis on advancement.

I do believe there is something to be said for going after a goal and working hard to achieve it. Which is something many of my scouts have yet to learn.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
actually, my biggest failing as a SM is my lack of emphasis on advancement.

I do believe there is something to be said for going after a goal and working hard to achieve it. Which is something many of my scouts have yet to learn.
I agree with that and have no problem with it.

My issue is with adult Scouters who are really more into it for themselves than for the boys. When making sure you march in a straight line becomes more important than simply having fun on your campout, then you have lost your way.

Based on your posts in the past, you seem genuinely into your scouts and making sure they have fun.

Don't make the mistake of shifting your focus towards rank advancement. Who cares if they go from Star to Life? Like I said....that part of Scouting is the lie.

If you want them to have goals and achieve them, then incorporate it into your activities (complete a 50 miler, do a conservation project, etc....).

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I seriously hate Scouts and would be perfectly happy if the program ceased to exist tomorrow.
Admit it Triple Dad. The emphasis on advancement isn't the cause of your scouting discontent, but the fact that scouts camp in the yucky woods. Just think of all the bugs, bacteria, and latrines.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Eagle Scout.
Highest award in Varsity Scouts.
2nd highest award in Venture Scouts, with the highest pending in a couple of months.

Earned a prestigious national BSA conservation award, and plans to major in a conservation field, after going on a mission.

This kid has it together.

All that and a creepy older on-line stalker? Who says you can't have it all.