cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If the Ute coaches turn the team around after last night,

they are extraordinary magicians.

The loss of the two most key elements might be devastating unless the defense can carry them.

However, Grady has not shown he can be accurate, especially without the help of a running game. It might be a long season, which might not turn around until mid October. In this way, football is a cruel sport.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The loss of the two most key elements might be devastating unless the defense can carry them.

However, Grady has not shown he can be accurate, especially without the help of a running game. It might be a long season, which might not turn around until mid October. In this way, football is a cruel sport.
Long season? It might be a long two seasons with KWhitt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

It is brutal. The Utes have three real stars--BJ, Asiata and Casteel. Losing the running game would make it tough but BJ is enough of a threat that he may be able to keep teams honest in how they defend the pass. But now losing BJ, I would be surprised if any team doesn't have 8 guys just sitting back chilling because they know the Utes won't be able to run on them.

Unless one of the other RBs turn into something quickly, Grady is in a lot of trouble. With a good RB, Grady may have been decent enough to move the ball thru the air as well. Lose the running game and an average QB in Grady becomes quite a bit less than average.

I agree, if the Utes somehow turn this all around...KWhitt deserves a medal of honor. Sadly, I don't know how he will be able to get to those 7-8 wins. I am hoping though, I am hoping.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

not to mention you start the season w/o the left tackle, maybe the second most important part of an offense.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
not to mention you start the season w/o the left tackle, maybe the second most important part of an offense.
Yes. Losing (or is it loosing?) Boone for the season before it started was worse than realized. I give Beadles credit for accepting the challenge to step in and play a position he wasn't recruited to play, but it's going to take time to learn LT. He got beat several times last night because of the combination of a defensive guy being quicker and Zane's lack of experience.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
It is brutal. The Utes have three real stars--BJ, Asiata and Casteel. Losing the running game would make it tough but BJ is enough of a threat that he may be able to keep teams honest in how they defend the pass. But now losing BJ, I would be surprised if any team doesn't have 8 guys just sitting back chilling because they know the Utes won't be able to run on them.

Unless one of the other RBs turn into something quickly, Grady is in a lot of trouble. With a good RB, Grady may have been decent enough to move the ball thru the air as well. Lose the running game and an average QB in Grady becomes quite a bit less than average.

I agree, if the Utes somehow turn this all around...KWhitt deserves a medal of honor. Sadly, I don't know how he will be able to get to those 7-8 wins. I am hoping though, I am hoping.
Calling Grady an average QB is being very generous imo. He looked horrible. He might have been better if he'd been playing under different circumstances, I don't know. Based on last night's performance though I would call him below average.

Were I an ute, I would be far more concerned about the fact that Casteel appeared to be the only one on the ute team who was aware that there are 4 quarters in a football game. If he could have done it on his own I'm certain he would have. Props to him for playing hard the whole game...and KW better do something about the rest of the team that seemed to go into damage control mode early in the 4th.

I feel bad for Johnson and Asiata as individuals. You never want to see someone get hurt, especially as bad as Asiata did. I don't really feel bad that the utes are going to suck though.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I'm just remembering the days back when I could actually see these games.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
you didn't miss much, it was a horrible game. Lots of mistakes and ugly football.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You need to find a friend in Utah that will hook you up with a slingbox. I'm not going to say that it's the best quality. A far cry from hi-def, but it's better than the radio, so I'll take it.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

This is where the term "coaching" really comes into play...and it is where coaches prove whether or not they can do it.

The Ute coaches have 8 days to breakdown what happened against OSU (other than the injuries) and correct the problems. Were I a coach, I would focus on two things: 1 - Tackling on Defense 2 - Showing the running back that the point is to run towards the Endzone, not the sideline.

They need to work the offense around what they have now...which, admittedly doesn't seem like much...but that is what these guys are paid for.

If we see one option run by Grady...my spirits will drop further than they are now.