cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
This seems to be one of the calculated risks that Utah takes in terms of recruiting...which is great if it works out, but sucks when it doesn't.

As I understand it, Boo Williams is in the same boat as far as qualifying academically.
Utah has taken this approach with many players and I know of many that were success stories because of it. I can think of 3 that are in the NFL right now and nobody wanted them except for Utah because there was doubt that they would qualify. Teams in the MWC need to take this risk to get some of the more talented athletes out there.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Utah has taken this approach with many players and I know of many that were success stories because of it. I can think of 3 that are in the NFL right now and nobody wanted them except for Utah because there was doubt that they would qualify. Teams in the MWC need to take this risk to get some of the more talented athletes out there.
BYU takes risks on guys that are borderline qualifying all the time. It's not something unique to Utah.

MWC was really stupid and I mean really, really stupid when they made the rule that they wouldn't allow any MWC school to take Prop 48's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #23
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look at what the loss of prop 48's has done to CSU. I agree that the academic stance of the MWC is hurting many of its programs.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #24
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Look at what the loss of prop 48's has done to CSU. I agree that the academic stance of the MWC is hurting many of its programs.
Does the WAC still accept Props? I thought that they still did. I know that Fresno St. was making there living on Props for a few years but they have pretty much dropped off. Does anyone know if they still do?

And yes it was a huge mistake for the MWC to not accept them anymore.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Does the WAC still accept Props? I thought that they still did. I know that Fresno St. was making there living on Props for a few years but they have pretty much dropped off. Does anyone know if they still do?

I don't know if the Wac does, I think they still do.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
This seems to be one of the calculated risks that Utah takes in terms of recruiting...which is great if it works out, but sucks when it doesn't.

As I understand it, Boo Williams is in the same boat as far as qualifying academically.
I myself am pleased to know Bronco is willing to take calculated risks unlike what some when he was hired indicated that he wouldn't.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #27
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

No the WAC stopped in 2002 or 2003 I forget which. By next year there should not be any prop 48s left in the WAC
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #28
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
No the WAC stopped in 2002 or 2003 I forget which. By next year there should not be any prop 48s left in the WAC
actually it may be a school by school decision. The people I know at BSU told me that they stopped taking them in about 2003 so I may be off.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Wishful thinking by some zoobs, unless zoob is a subset of BYU fans. We were recruiting him, we wanted him and the Utes got him. Kudo's to the Utes. It honestly doesn't bother me a bit. I personally doubt he would have seen the field at LES much as a running back. That isn't sower grapes and just my opinion. If he turns out awesome, then I will wish he had gone to BYU.
Yes, zoobs are a subset of BYU fans. I was just trying to point out that Shak had no intention of playing at the Y and took a gratuitous shot at zoobs.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 PM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Rocky a really good friend of mine has a son that played next to Siliaga out at Copper Hills, he has told me a number of times that he will be amazed if Siliaga qualifies.
I've heard this as well. Hopefully the kid can get it together so he can play for the Utes, but even more for his own sake so he can have a successful career after football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote