cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU football is dead to me this year

and nobody should try to convince me Beck is a good quarterback. He might be a great human being, but he is subpar when it counts on the field.

BYU has two more chances to resurrect itself, against BC and if possible in a meaningful bowl game, otherwise, the team is in the doldrums, once again. After thirty years of entertainment, I would say the first twenty years were a good investment, but these last ten have been a poor investment of time and entertainment.

Every year, I go Charlie Brown, hoping my hopes won't be dashed in the first game, but alas Lucy always pulls the rug out, nonetheless.

Last edited by Archaea; 09-05-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 AM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow dude. Buck up. This too shall pass, and the misery we are all going through now will make future successful seasons all the more sweet.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Archaea

In the investment world, if you had a ten year bad investment, you'd eventually cut bait and fish.

BYU has been a bad entertainment investment for the past ten years, even though during the previous twenty years, it performed nicely. We're now under bad management.

Beck, bless his heart, is not star starter material.

Bronco is satisfied with mediocrity.

And the BCS has made it nearly impossible for upstarts outside to compete.

BYU, if it had had almost any of its good quarterbacks of yore, would have easily defeated the woeful Arizona team. The team did not play awfully, but showed it is not a good team, and likely will not be, this year.

Could it become magical? Of course, but, not likely with the same cast of characters.

There is NOTHING magical about Beck's ability to perform. He is mechanical and unimaginative. I didn't see a single one of his audibles that did a blessed thing. With Beck, what you see is what you get. Mechanically going through the motions, but can't get it done when it counts.

Note I turned off college football on CB last year toward the end of the year, and have already turned it off on CB this year. The Arizona game is just a repeat of past failings.

Unless BYU defeats Boston College, it is unlikely I will watch again this year.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Colly Wolly

We can still win the conference. We can still beat Utah. We can still go to a bowl game.

No we are not going to win the National Championship this year. But I still think it is way to early to put the entire season (let alone BYU football as a whole) in the fridge. Step back from the edge.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
Archaea

We should win the games we should win.

The team is nowhere close to being top thirty, but beating Arizona should have been a foregone conclusion. Arizona will finish near the cellar this year, unless the PAC 10 is having a bad year.

BYU will underperform this year. If we defeat Utah during a bad year, so what?

This team can't move the ball and score against an ordinary defense. We do not have the ability to stretch a defense.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

You make some valid points, but I'm still watching all the games and rooting for my Cougs. I guess I'll catch your posts in religion and politics.

Peace.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:39 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
You make some valid points, but I'm still watching all the games and rooting for my Cougs. I guess I'll catch your posts in religion and politics.

Peace.
Well I've watched for more than you are old, and these past ten years have been miserable. The investment isn't worth it.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm pretty depressed also. But I think folks are being a bit too harsh on Beck. I thought he played quite well. Lack of a running game was a big part of the outcome. Beck can't block can he? He didn't make the fumble on the first play. He didn't drop the hold on the field goal. He didn't push off in the end zone. He didn't do a defensive hold on the INT play by Jensen. If everyone had played as well as Beck, we would have won this game going away. We lost in spite of Beck, not because of Beck.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
Well, I'm pretty depressed also. But I think folks are being a bit too harsh on Beck. I thought he played quite well. Lack of a running game was a big part of the outcome. Beck can't block can he? He didn't make the fumble on the first play. He didn't drop the hold on the field goal. He didn't push off in the end zone. He didn't do a defensive hold on the INT play by Jensen. If everyone had played as well as Beck, we would have won this game going away. We lost in spite of Beck, not because of Beck.
If this were his first close loss, yes it would be unfair. However, the difference between the good players and Beck, is Beck's failure to elevate the players surrounding him. They don't raise their play due to his leadership. I don't know how to quantify it, but that's what Beck lacks. He's mechanical, tries hard and would have been a capable back up, and he's our best option for this year, but he will usually come up short, when it matters. His teammates don't raise their games to play with him.

Beck's not a horrible person and not a horrible player, but he's not what we need to win most of our games against BCS teams or signature games. He's never had a signature win, that should say enough.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
If this were his first close loss, yes it would be unfair. However, the difference between the good players and Beck, is Beck's failure to elevate the players surrounding him. They don't raise their play due to his leadership. I don't know how to quantify it, but that's what Beck lacks. He's mechanical, tries hard and would have been a capable back up, and he's our best option for this year, but he will usually come up short, when it matters. His teammates don't raise their games to play with him.

Beck's not a horrible person and not a horrible player, but he's not what we need to win most of our games against BCS teams or signature games. He's never had a signature win, that should say enough.
I still think that is quite a stretch to blame all of those mistakes on the QB. The coaching staff, maybe. But not the QB. On the other hand, I suppose that is a long-standing BYU tradition.