cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa.Kinzer View Post
Um, I'm guessing your school had librarians, too. Although it IS hard to find librarians that watch football.

I love those titles to the BYU articles...I was wondering what I'd get if I researched Oklahoma football from the same time period...I'm thinking the words "baptism," "sober," and "sacred" would be noticably absent.

BTW, Oklahoma won the title the next year. Just thought I should point that out.
Was that during Brian Bosworth's year?

He was a talent but a butt.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Was that during Brian Bosworth's year?
Indeed. I think my brother still has the #44 Bosworth jersey he wore when we were kids.

Bosworth didn't get to play in the bowl game because he tested positive for steroids...left early for the NFL.

For awhile he was selling himself as a "born again" believer...speaking engagements and stuff...I don't know what he's up to now.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:47 AM   #13
Archaea

My favorite memory of Brian was Bo blowing him into the endzone.

He was messed up. A great player, but a head case.

Bo was fun to watch. I loved watching him. Heck, I'd watch him bat, just to see him break the bat over his head.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My favorite memory of Brian was Bo blowing him into the endzone.

He was messed up. A great player, but a head case.

Bo was fun to watch. I loved watching him. Heck, I'd watch him bat, just to see him break the bat over his head.
It's a shame Bo got hurt the way he did. Had he only played baseball, he would have played for 20+ years. He was that talented.

I agree about how much fun it was watching him. He was one of the greatest athletes I've ever seen play any sport.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It's a shame Bo got hurt the way he did. Had he only played baseball, he would have played for 20+ years. He was that talented.

I agree about how much fun it was watching him. He was one of the greatest athletes I've ever seen play any sport.
Bo's injury is another reason to hate the Raiders. There are many of them, especially for Chiefs fans.

I loved watching him try to beat out a ground ball running to first base. (I wondered, hey, superheroes aren't supposed to play pro ball, who let the Flash run). One of the great pleasures I will be able to share with my children and grandchildren is to say, I was able to watch Bo Jackson play. He was and is a great guy. Strong, fast and fluid.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 AM   #16
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'm enrolled in a class on Utah history this semester, and we're supposed to be writing a paper about any event in Utah's history that is particularly impactful. I asked the teacher, and he gave permission to write about BYU's 1984 championship-- if I can find three "scholarly sources" about the event.

I'm not likely to be writing on this topic, of course, but I figure it's worth a shot. Are there three "scholarly sources" that could be consulted on such a paper? Lee Benson's "And They Came to Pass" may count as one, for example. Are there two other similar works on BYU football, especially dealing with the 84 season, that you CG guys know of?

Thanks.
Actually, people don't really do "scholarly treatments" of sports topics at all. A few years ago there was a biography of Vince Lombardi pubished and I read in the New York Times that this was the first "serious" biography every written about a sports figure. And this book was written for a popular audience.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:14 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, people don't really do "scholarly treatments" of sports topics at all.
Even at research institutions?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #18
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, people don't really do "scholarly treatments" of sports topics at all. A few years ago there was a biography of Vince Lombardi pubished and I read in the New York Times that this was the first "serious" biography every written about a sports figure. And this book was written for a popular audience.
Hey! Are you telling me that Lavell Edwards' Ph.D. dissertation was bogus?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hey! Are you telling me that Lavell Edwards' Ph.D. dissertation was bogus?
Wow, if Edwards' dissertation was bogus, what would be thought of Doc Gooden's dissertation on "Baseball's geometry of 'chalk lines'"?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 AM   #20
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

hm.

There is quite a body of scholarly work on sports topics. Covering everything from the athletes themselves to the evolution of the game to the motives of donors to terrorism risks at NCAA venues. (I'm not making any of that up.)

Granted, I didn't find a lot on the 1984 Cougars, but I still hold that the Sports Illustrated articles could be used as primary sources for an academically-solid history paper. A really interesting one, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote