cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #21
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
And yes, I still argue that your comparison of Kwame's overall game to Boguts is ludicrous.
No more ludicrous than a claim that Bogut has shown drastic improvement since entering the league.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
Donuthole

Quote:
I understand what you are saying...I guess the difference is, I don't think the Bucks were out to try and find someone to help Bogut...because this deal would have happened even if Bogut was averaging 20 points and 10 boards a game. This was just that good of a trade...not a desperation trade of a team trying to help Bogut.
I think we sort of agree here. Where we don't agree is that I think the Bucks were out looking for a desperation trade, and stumbled upon a very good trade.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 PM   #23
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think after this season the 49ers will be very happy with Alex Smith as their draft pick. As for Bogut, he shouldn't have gone number one but you would have a hard time claiming he shouldn't have been picked in the top 10 of the draft.
Would you have picked Marvin Williams instead (that was the debate for the Bucks at the time)? No fair saying Chris Paul. Even the Jazz looked past him.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #24
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right Hyrum...

The problem that the Bucks had is that they didn't need a point guard. They had TJ Ford. So, you take out Paul and Deron Williams. They thought Bogut would contribute quicker than Marvin Williams would...obviously, that was the case.

It is an easy case to make that Bogut is one of the 5 best players from that draft. Behind Deron and Paul...and then you could make the case that he is better than the others like Bynum, Granger, Villanueva, Felton and Frye. Lee is one that you could have a good argument about--but even with that, he is still a top 5 pick.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #25
Donuthole

Quote:
You are right Hyrum...

The problem that the Bucks had is that they didn't need a point guard. They had TJ Ford.
This is where your position gets dicey. You can't say on one hand that they didn't need a PG because they had TJ Ford, and then on the other hand say they traded for Villanueva because Ford was expendable. The truth of the matter is that they needed to appease their fan base, and drafting Paul or Williams wasn't going to to that. They drafted Bogut as the "sure thing" and ended up getting the player in the top 4 with not only the smallest 'upside', but the least realization of that upside to date.

I would contend that Bogut is currently only the 7th best player in that draft, as M. Williams, Paul, D. Williams, Villanueva, Granger, and Ellis, are all better than Bogut at this point.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:50 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
This is where your position gets dicey. You can't say on one hand that they didn't need a PG because they had TJ Ford, and then on the other hand say they traded for Villanueva because Ford was expendable. The truth of the matter is that they needed to appease their fan base, and drafting Paul or Williams wasn't going to to that. They drafted Bogut as the "sure thing" and ended up getting the player in the top 4 with not only the smallest 'upside', but the least realization of that upside to date.

I would contend that Bogut is currently only the 7th best player in that draft, as M. Williams, Paul, D. Williams, Villanueva, Granger, and Ellis, are all better than Bogut at this point.
As long as it upset the zoobs in Cougar Nation, it was a good thing that Bogut went #1.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #27
Donuthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
As long as it upset the zoobs in Cougar Nation, it was a good thing that Bogut went #1.
Actually, we've all really enjoyed watching him underachieve.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #28
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

No, that is not where it gets dicey. At all. When they drafted Bogut, Ford was healthy and the point guard of the future as he was a lottery pick the year before. But, later that summer is when Ford went down. MoWilliams then stepped up and showed that he could be that point guard and Ford became expendable. That does nothing for your argument.

The Bucks had no interest in drafting Williams or Paul because Ford was their lottery draft pick. But it is funny how an injury after that draft, the emergence of MoWilliams changed everything.

And no offense, but if you really think that Marvin Williams is a better player at this point than Bogut, then you my friend, are nuts. Unless you like small forwards that can barely shoot the ball from 2 land or 3 land, can't pass the ball to his teammates and is a below average rebounder. I can't believe you just mentioned Marvin Williams. I will give you Ellis though as he was terrific this year...I think you could make a good argument against Granger and Villanueva in relation to Bogut.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Actually, we've all really enjoyed watching him underachieve.
I'm sure you have. But watching people freak out about him being drafted was great entertainment from my view.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm sure you have. But watching people freak out about him being drafted was great entertainment from my view.
Wasn't just BYU fans. Many many national and local sportswriters blasted that as being a dumb pick for #1.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote