cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #31
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Rose is in a different sport. College basketball is such that even coaches at extremely tiny programs can become quite prominent. If BYU makes noise in the tourney, then yes. If BYU doesn't make the tourney, forget about it.

No tourney in football.
You are tapdancing. Many lower level coaches who get pub never win one game in the tourney.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
You are tapdancing. Many lower level coaches who get pub never win one game in the tourney.
Another point. BYU bball was never prominently on TV even before the MTN. During good years, I might see BYU just a few times. Bad years maybe just one game. It's always been hard to see BYU, but that applies to most teams outside of the major basketball conferences.

However the difference in exposure for BYU football has been much more significant.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #33
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I'm really not bitter towards Crowton.

He was good at Louisiana Tech. I said he'd be good for a job like Houston.

Bears fans HATED him by the time he left. So did BYU fans. He fell out of favor with Bellotti. LSU fans are mixed about him.

The general feeling about him as an OC is that he's great for the first year or the beginning of the season. I haven't followed his career too much outside of BYU to speak intelligently to that. He seems to be all over the place. He took the Urban Meyer offense to Oregon, then he took the Nevada offense to LSU. I don't know if he could be consistent with anyone.

What seems remarkable to me is his ability is to continue getting pay raises even when he keeps getting run out of town.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #34
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Bears fans HATED him by the time he left. So did BYU fans. He fell out of favor with Bellotti. LSU fans are mixed about him.

The general feeling about him as an OC is that he's great for the first year or the beginning of the season. I haven't followed his career too much outside of BYU to speak intelligently to that. He seems to be all over the place. He took the Urban Meyer offense to Oregon, then he took the Nevada offense to LSU. I don't know if he could be consistent with anyone.

What seems remarkable to me is his ability is to continue getting pay raises even when he keeps getting run out of town.
I think he runs whatever offense the HC tells him to run, thus why the frequent systemic shakeups.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #35
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think he runs whatever offense the HC tells him to run, thus why the frequent systemic shakeups.
Maybe that was his problem at BYU. Nobody told him to cut the crap and run the BYU Chow offense.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #36
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Maybe that was his problem at BYU. Nobody told him to cut the crap and run the BYU Chow offense.
I tried to tell him what to do on many occassions, sadly he did not listen. However, we were all living right and eventually magic happened.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM   #37
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

The only town he got run out of was Provo. Period.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #38
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
He was making near that at Oregon.
Ummm not even close. Honestly not even in the same area code.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #39
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The general feeling about him as an OC is that he's great for the first year or the beginning of the season. I haven't followed his career too much outside of BYU to speak intelligently to that. He seems to be all over the place. He took the Urban Meyer offense to Oregon, then he took the Nevada offense to LSU.
What I find funny is all the Oregon experts here all of a sudden. He didn't fall out of favor with Belloti. Oregon made him an offer worth more per year to stay in Eugene, but Oregon could not match what LSU was offering in terms of vesting him in the Louisiana State pension.

There was some tension last year as Crowton wanted to play Dixon only and Belloti was in love with Leaf, that was part of Belloti not yet fully buying into the spread.

Outside of the BYU game the offense was pretty solid all year for the Ducks. The Ducks had little to no defense to speak of last year and found a way to give away games at the end of the year, just like they do every year under Belloti (see 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007).
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote