cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Church, meetings, time requirements, what does HF think?

I wonder if HF looks at what the Church has evolved into over the years, and thinks that the time
commitment (away from our families) asked of many members is much more than He ever intended it to be.
Has "man" received the gospel of JC, and the Church through which it is administered, and distorted it to the point
that it is in a sense defeating some of the core purposes of the gospel? Some of those core purposes being one's own spritual, and physical development, the creation of family units on the earth, and our responsibility to nurture them, and meet their needs?

Take for example Joe Mormon, who is an Elder. He has 4 or 5 families assigned to home teach. He has a calling involved with YM, or ward missionary, something like this. Even just for completing his HT every month, and fulfiling his calling, OUTSIDE of the 3 meetings on Sunday, he is going to spend 2 or 3 days a week going to other meetings, or HT.
On top of this, if the wife has a calling involved with anything during the week, there is at least one other night a week that she will be gone from the home. It could easily be the case where most weeks that either the husband or wife is not in the home any night, except for Fridays and Saturdays. I'm not sure this is the time requirement HF intended the church to put upon parents of young children.

One step to allow people to spend more time at home, is people need to quit having so many meetings, and have more conference calls, and utilize email more often. There are some meetings which are just not necessary to hold as often as some people think they should, such as EQP meetings, and missionary correlation.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

hillary looks a million years old in your avatar

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
I wonder if HF looks at what the Church has evolved into over the years, and thinks that the time
commitment (away from our families) asked of many members is much more than He ever intended it to be.
Has "man" received the gospel of JC, and the Church through which it is administered, and distorted it to the point
that it is in a sense defeating some of the core purposes of the gospel? Some of those core purposes being one's own spritual, and physical development, the creation of family units on the earth, and our responsibility to nurture them, and meet their needs?

Take for example Joe Mormon, who is an Elder. He has 4 or 5 families assigned to home teach. He has a calling involved with YM, or ward missionary, something like this. Even just for completing his HT every month, and fulfiling his calling, OUTSIDE of the 3 meetings on Sunday, he is going to spend 2 or 3 days a week going to other meetings, or HT.
On top of this, if the wife has a calling involved with anything during the week, there is at least one other night a week that she will be gone from the home. It could easily be the case where most weeks that either the husband or wife is not in the home any night, except for Fridays and Saturdays. I'm not sure this is the time requirement HF intended the church to put upon parents of young children.

One step to allow people to spend more time at home, is people need to quit having so many meetings, and have more conference calls, and utilize email more often. There are some meetings which are just not necessary to hold as often as some people think they should, such as EQP meetings, and missionary correlation.
Make time to serve in the Church and nurture family. YES WE CAN!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

You guys out in the mission field need to stop your bitching and move to Utah if you can't handle the church's work load. I'm an elder and in a YM presidency. I have two active families to hometeach, takes me less than an hour a month including drive and prep time. I have three other active men that have callings dedicated to the deacons that share the load in planning activities. All of them have sons that are deacons, so none are really taken out of the family to serve.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I could do without the personal PPI's, the Saturday meeting before stake conference, tithing settlement, monthly home teaching and Sunday School. I would take every bishopric meeting, ward council, teacher development and Sacrament Meeting and cut them in half.

That should make for a little more family time.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Make time to serve in the Church and nurture family. YES WE CAN!

Thanks Pollyana. Did you even read my post? How can one nurture the family if one is not home?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I could do without the personal PPI's, the Saturday meeting before stake conference, tithing settlement, monthly home teaching and Sunday School. I would take every bishopric meeting, ward council, teacher development and Sacrament Meeting and cut them in half.

That should make for a little more family time.
Some valid points.

My brother-in-law is in the bishopric of a single adult ward that has a shortened block, 2hrs 15 minutes I believe. Why isn't this adopted worldwide?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
You guys out in the mission field need to stop your bitching and move to Utah if you can't handle the church's work load. I'm an elder and in a YM presidency. I have two active families to hometeach, takes me less than an hour a month including drive and prep time. I have three other active men that have callings dedicated to the deacons that share the load in planning activities. All of them have sons that are deacons, so none are really taken out of the family to serve.
The "mission field?" What is that?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't know. I only go to Church, and a quarterly meeting for activities committee (which I sometimes delegate to my wife).

I think, for the most part, meetings are a general waste of time. Still, an in-person meeting or telephone call will always be more effective than email or any other electronic means of communication.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some valid points.

My brother-in-law is in the bishopric of a single adult ward that has a shortened block, 2hrs 15 minutes I believe. Why isn't this adopted worldwide?
My brother's ward was running 2.5-hour blocks (here in Utah). A visiting GA noticed the shortened block, and the Stake Pres shortly thereafter received a letter explaining that it's not his prerogative to change the official church blocks. The next week, he was back at 3-hour blocks.

I was in a ward that moved to 2.5-hour blocks too. It changed about 4 months before we bought our house. Going back to the full 3 hours was so hard - it felt like I was in hell by the time priesthood ended.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote