cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default EFY: The paid youth clergy that is killing youth conference?

http://beginningsnew.blogspot.com/2008/01/ef-why.html

Very interesting entry. Much on this site that is well worth reading. The author is an acquaintance who is a well respected historian and teaches at an Ivy league school.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

We've done it twice and it was a godsend for our daughters. French LDS guys were real, well, French. It restored hope that there were some "cool" Mormon guys out there. It also let them know that they were not alone in holding to their LDS values. We're debating whether or not we'll do it this summer. The ward and stake youth programs are very strong here, so that need isn't there. Also, we have no planned trip to Utah, so probably not.

EFY isn't killing local stake youth conferences. I think they started scaling those back a while ago.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't bother me that EFY counselors and speakers are paid. I'd be surprised if the counselor's hourly rate were above minimum wage. The speakers make their real money from the books purchased by former EFY/YC attendees (think John Bytheway).

My biggest concern with EFY are the emotionally manipulative tactics used by the counselors and teachers. Perhaps I'm still annoyed that I was sent back to the dorm after mocking my counselor's object lesson that taught the atonement by making some sorry kid do a ton of pushups so everybody could get a jawbreaker.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

The part that resonated the most with me was the idea that where we used to have youth conferences on a larger scale that financially could be made to work for all the kids, that these are really dying out and that EFY participation has replaced much of this, but only for those who can afford it.

Wouldn't it be better for Stakes to be having bigger, better, youth conferences that all can participate in?

By the way, I did EFY when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. My perspective has changed a lot since then though.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

My two older boys went to EFY a few times. I think they viewed it primarily as an opportunity to meet cute girls from all over the country. We figured if any deeper learning took place, that would be a nice bonus.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Mrs. Funk

Mrs. Funk is on a distinguished road

I went to EFY when I was 15 and it was a remarkably spiritual experience. However, exhaustion was seemingly used as a "tactic" to get people to feel the Spirit. On nights we had dances, we'd get back to the dorms near midnight, and the next morning we'd have small group devotional at 6 AM. We were herded around in July heat, participated in team-building exercises, were told to read our scriptures at least an hour a day, etc. etc. By the time we had the testimony meeting on Thursday night after 4 days of running on 3 hours of sleep in 98 degree weather, I was so exhausted that I completely lost control of myself and bawled through the whole meeting. At the time, I attributed it to feeling the Spirit so strongly (which I'm sure I did), but largely my defenses were totally worn down that I was bordering on delusion.

Maybe my experience is an extreme one. And maybe part of the point is to keep kids so busy at these things that they can't get in trouble with the cute girl in the dorm next door. I don't think EFY was a bad experience or that kids shouldn't go to it. At least to me, it seemed emotionally manipulative to get me to the point that I was crying hysterically and attribute it to the Spirit.
Mrs. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

None of the kids from my ward have gone.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
EFY isn't killing local stake youth conferences. I think they started scaling those back a while ago.
This was my impression as well. I thought that EFY was filling a gap resulting from the retrenchment of stake youth conferences.