cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jaime Hill >> Bronco

Wasn't it nice to have a defense that changed it up from play to play. That blitzed once in a while. That was unpredictable. Instead of rushing 4 every play and dropping in zone, getting dinked and dunked all the way to beatings by 3 different teams last season. The "bend and break at the very end" defense.

Jaime Hill was in charge, for the first time, of making the defensive calls.

Now having said that, with my somewhat provocative title, I will say this: we clearly have a much better secondary this season. We have better linebackers. We are at least as good on the DL from what I can tell. We have more options, blitzes are more likely to be effective this season. It was nice to see corners touching balls, instead of 10 yards off their man when the ball is caught.

Now having said that, it seems like these guys were playing with a kind of reckless abandon (but responsible abandon, meaning that they were taking care of their assignments) that was noticeable and different.

Kudos to Jaime Hill (and Bronco), and the rest of the defensive staff.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote