cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who did you root for to win the 1998 mens final?
Utah 26 78.79%
Kentucky 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who did you root for in the 1998 mens final?

Ute fans do not need to vote, it defeats the purpose.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

This has to be the most boring Utah reset of all time.

As it was stated earlier, "you are developing a freaking Ute complex."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I rooted for the Yewts. However, I learned something important that night. When they lost, I found that I had such a feeling of satisfaction, that the Yewts had been so close but come up just short, that would not have been there had they been able to pull off the win. The conference didn't receive any less credibility than it would have received had they won (reaching the NC game in basketball is a great accomplishment even without a win).

I just imagined the angst and disappointment felt among Yewt nation at just coming up short, and it warmed my heart. I realized it was the best possible outcome.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I was glad to see at least one particular cheater didn't prosper.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I rooted for the Yewts. However, I learned something important that night. When they lost, I found that I had such a feeling of satisfaction, that the Yewts had been so close but come up just short, that would not have been there had they been able to pull off the win. The conference didn't receive any less credibility than it would have received had they won (reaching the NC game in basketball is a great accomplishment even without a win).

I just imagined the angst and disappointment felt among Yewt nation at just coming up short, and it warmed my heart. I realized it was the best possible outcome.
This is a common experience for me. If I turn on a big game the Utes are involved with, I find myself pulling for them, just out of familiarity or the conference thing whatever. But then if they lose, I always feel happy.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Ute fans do not need to vote, it defeats the purpose.
Sorry, I voted before I read your post. (I"m a Ute fan).

You should have made it public. Then I could know who to ignore.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
yankeecoug

yankeecoug is on a distinguished road

This is a stupid thread...who cares about the 1998 final four?

NCAA appearances is what matters anyway since none of our teams will ever win a national title in hoops. Unless you count the Ute 1944 team, but that's about as legit is the 1984 holiday bowl.

-NCAA Tourney appearances-

Utah: 35
BYU/USU/Weber: Between 14-19 I believe
SUU: 1
UVU: 0
yankeecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecoug View Post
This is a stupid thread...who cares about the 1998 final four?

NCAA appearances is what matters anyway since none of our teams will ever win a national title in hoops. Unless you count the Ute 1944 team, but that's about as legit is the 1984 holiday bowl.

-NCAA Tourney appearances-

Utah: 35
BYU/USU/Weber: Between 14-19 I believe
SUU: 1
UVU: 0
Wrong. I don't know where you got your data. Utah has made 26 NCAA tournament appearances. BYU has made 23. Utah has a much better W/L record there, obviously. Head to head, Utah has beaten BYU only 2-3 more times in the nearly 100 year history of the rivalry and didn't take the lead in the series until the Cleveland years.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

i must admit to feeling the same things towards the cougs when they play. in my younger days it was pure hatred and i rooted against byu all of the time, but now, imo, utah benefits from byu being tough in sports and beating them when they are good. however, i did enjoy the crowton years immensely!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote