cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Poinsettia Bowl

I am taking off early Thursday morning with my two youngest sons (2.5 and 3.5) to go to the bowl game.

I have been getting a lot of shit about going to see the Utes play in a meaningless bowl game. I see my travel as a part of proving that the Utes can travel well. Pisses me off how lazy some able-bodied fans are. anyway, the biggest reason i go is that i grew up at Ute football and basketball games and it's an opportunity for me to share something with my sons that my dad shared with me. He's old and in a wheelchair now, but we are still able to go

I wonder, would you travel to see their team play in a bowl game, even if it is a meaningless and lower tier bowl?
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in San Diego so of course I will be at the game. Two years ago I did not travel the 500 miles to watch Utah play in the Emerald Bowl, but my main concern at that time was money. I did not travel to Texas for last year's Armed Forces Bowl, but that was due to distance. The Fiesta Bowl wasn't too far, but there was so much hype and interest over that game that I think most of the people who I knew there would have traveled anywhere, even as far as New Orleans or Miami for that game.

This response really just points out the obvious, doesn't it?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I live in San Diego so of course I will be at the game. Two years ago I did not travel the 500 miles to watch Utah play in the Emerald Bowl, but my main concern at that time was money. I did not travel to Texas for last year's Armed Forces Bowl, but that was due to distance. The Fiesta Bowl wasn't too far, but there was so much hype and interest over that game that I think most of the people who I knew there would have traveled anywhere, even as far as New Orleans or Miami for that game.

This response really just points out the obvious, doesn't it?
i appreciate the response, b/c i think many fans probably wouldn't travel too far distance-wise for a game. I will attend any bowl game that I can drive to within 10 hours. Otherwise, it's a game by game decision. I didn't go last year to TX, but wanted to - timing wasn't good with work.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i appreciate the response, b/c i think many fans probably wouldn't travel too far distance-wise for a game. I will attend any bowl game that I can drive to within 10 hours. Otherwise, it's a game by game decision. I didn't go last year to TX, but wanted to - timing wasn't good with work.
I would narrow my travel distance radius to about 6 hours - a hard but reasonable drive the day before the game.

I think thats awesome that you take the boys with you to the games, even though they are young are probably less-than-easy to travel with. My dad and I never had the chance to go to any BYU games growing up, just because of where we lived, but I have good memories of sitting in the gym at the Stake Center every saturday or in our living room trying to see through the static on the old blue and white network.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Have fun Orange! UU 31 Navy 23
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:40 AM   #6
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
Have fun Orange! UU 31 Navy 23
Good for you guys for going. I don't get off for the holidays until the 21st.

Have fun.

Utah 35. Navy 7
Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Lucky.
A days drive and I'd go.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I think it's cool that you're going to have fun and support your team.

Enjoy the ride.

My pick is Utah 31 Navy 17
Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
OrangeUte

There's an interesting article on the poinsettia bowl in the tribune this morning, and it comments on how "fickle" ute fans are when it comes to bowl games... http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7743642

i understand that we were spoiled by the fiesta bowl, but let's not forget that we had like a 30 year drought until the '90s when we didn't go to ANY bowl games.

obviously, there is an oversaturation of bowl games now, but i will make the effort to go to a game whenever possible - especially if i can drive there.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not able to go...I have 2 kids, a wife and a very sick father in law. With that said, I did purchase 4 tickets and found a friend down in San Diego that will be using them.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote